The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Parking lot pole light swap....
by gfretwell
10/24/16 08:46 PM
International Wire Colour Codes
by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
2 registered (HotLine1, Lostazhell), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126176 - 06/14/05 04:23 PM service entrance
mamiya69 Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 06/12/05
Posts: 2
Loc: Il Cook
I've done part time electrical work for several years now mostly just doing plant wireing of machines and what not. I now may need to put a service in a building I'm looking to rent it is my understanding that I can not install this service becuase of licensing requirements. I'm in the chicago burbs if any one could fill me in on the details I would apprecaite it. I'm looking to install a 400A 240v 3phase service can anyone give me a ball park figure that from the area the equipment would be mounted to the back wall and just go out into the ct cab. nothin fancy here thanks in advance

#126177 - 06/14/05 05:59 PM Re: service entrance
Active 1 Offline

Registered: 02/22/03
Posts: 684
Loc: Grayslake IL, USA
You did not say what city/village it's in. That's the first place you need to start.

It is up to the local goverment what the minimum requirments are. Every place is different. IMO you should be licensed to do services but that's not allways a rule. For residential many places allow a HO to pull a service permit. It may also depend on if you own the building, renting, and building use.

You may also need to consult the utility as far as what they will supply you and where on the building.

Sorry I can't give you a number cause we don't do much as far as CT's. I would think more details would be needed to price out a service.



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals