Now Available!

Recent Posts
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
Yesterday at 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 255 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126146 - 05/23/05 06:34 PM Made in America?
JFLS41 Offline

Loc: Lower Burrell, PA

Joe started the day early, having set his alarm clock (Made in Japan) for 6am.

While his coffeepot (Made in Germany) was perking, he shaved with his electric razor (made in Hong Kong).

He put on his dress shirt (Made in Sri Lanka), his pants (Made in Singapore), and his shoes (Made in INdonesia). After cooking his breakfast in his new electric skillet (made in India), he sat down with his pocket calculator (Made in China), to see how much he could spend today.

After setting his Swiss watch to the radio (made in China), he got in his Japanese made car and continued his search for a Good AMERICAN JOB!!!

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day, Joe decided to relax for a while.

He put on his sandals (Made In Brazil), poured himself a glass of French wine, turned on his TV (Made in Korea), and wondered why he couldn't find a GOOD AMERICAN JOB!!!

#126147 - 05/24/05 02:35 AM Re: Made in America?
sparky 134 Offline

Loc: Joliet, Il, USA
Every day it gets harder to find anything made in the USA. Unfortunately it makes good business sense to assemble products in countries where the labor rate is 1/10 of what it is here.

This trend will not reverse until we either collapse or enter World War 3 at which point we will be forced to rethink this global economy.

(zipping up my flame suit)

#126148 - 05/24/05 05:39 AM Re: Made in America?
Amazingmg Offline

Loc: Florida, USA

It won't end until our wages meet theirs. They are coming up and we are going down.

[This message has been edited by Amazingmg (edited 05-24-2005).]

#126149 - 05/24/05 03:58 PM Re: Made in America?
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Amazingmg:

It won't end until our wages meet theirs. They are coming up and we are going down.

Agreed... I could never be in the diplomatic corps. I couldn't argue "fairness" with a country that truly believes $4 a week is somehow equal to $12.50/hr.

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 05-24-2005).]

#126150 - 05/24/05 06:16 PM Re: Made in America?
trollog Offline

Loc: San Diego California USA
Makes me glad I'm in the line of work I'm in. I can't see how someone halfway across the globe can replace me at my job, or wire or troubleshoot a building.... Unless of course they just walk to the border and sneak into the USA illegally, find an employer who doesn't care about taxes or the laws of this country, work for cash at 60% of the prevailing industry wage... Foreign imports? Pffft! Tariffs and the mechanisms of the WTO were designed to regulate manufactured goods and commodities and have been working in the USA and other countries for decades. It's the wholesale *uncontrolled* importation of foreign labor- that "other" "foreign good" that makes me fear for the "good old american job" as well as the american living standard

#126151 - 05/25/05 08:56 AM Re: Made in America?
Alan Belson Offline

Loc: Mayenne N. France
Nail hit right on the head.
Wood work but can't!

#126152 - 05/25/05 09:15 AM Re: Made in America?
cvelectric Offline

I hear about this subject of outsourcing and importing of foreign labor (illegal aliens) often. I am at a loss as to what can be done about it. There is no "political will" to do anything about it. The mega corporations and all of their lobbying money have seen to that. I am sick about it.

It seems that a situation has been created where contractors can't compete unless they hire illegal aliens. Wages for electricians have not increased in ten years. I don't see how we can sustain our standard of living in this environment.

We all have to support the illegal aliens (including small business owners) through our taxes, while many of them do not pay taxes. Their children are filling our classrooms and they are getting free health care through medicaid. State universities allow them in state tuition. If my child were attending an out of state university we would have to pay the higher tuition (about 1/3 higher?) for out of state students.

I am not against immigrants as long as the laws that are in place are enforced. I am against allowing illegal immigrants to enter this country. The fact that our borders are wide open bothers me. Our government is just paying lip service to the idea of homeland security as long as this is the case.

#126153 - 05/26/05 03:05 AM Re: Made in America?
maintenanceguy Offline

Loc: Southern NJ, USA
Making everything here means more jobs but less stuff for all of us.

Stiff is manufactured oversees because the stuff is cheaper that way. Cheaper stuff means we can afford more of it.

Make it here and the stuff costs more. Your paycheck won't buy as much of it.

I'm personally ok with that, I've never had much interest in stuff. But if you're the kind of guy who likes haveing a nice shiny new things, Made in USA will effect your lifestyle.

#126154 - 05/26/05 04:24 AM Re: Made in America?
Amazingmg Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Cheaper stuff means we can afford more of it.

Unless you don't have a job! See how that works?

You may say that your job won't go away. Well, the people that pay for services still have to earn their money somewhere. The buck stops somewhere.

The US is large enough to be it's own economy, in effect. With the exception of some resources that have to imported in any case, we could thrive on our own. In fact, in our prime years as an industrial power, we did.

The only folks ultimately benefiting long term from cheap overseas labor are the large multi-national corporations that have no allegiance to anyone but the almight dollar.

One thing is for sure, we will reap what we have sown.

I do agree, however, that the jobs least affected for the longest time will be the service "trades". College doesn't look like much of a guarantee anymore for anyone wanting a bright future. They will be "outsourced" out of work.

#126155 - 05/26/05 08:13 AM Re: Made in America?
Dnkldorf Offline

Loc: nowhere usa
Folks, remmember a couple things.

There are more American's in this country that are cheating the taxpayers out of medicare, unemployment and social benefits than the "illegals" are. We as a society need to address this before we blame someone else out of convienence.

2nd, the "Big Corporations" outsource jobs because of profit margins. The have to make a profit, the more profit, the more the stock price goes up. This is driven by shareholders, whether it is me and you, or fund managers and chairs on the board.

So in a sense, we have to blame ourselves for what is happening. We are our own dimise.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals