The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:
   

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

   
Recent Posts
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm² flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 255 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126115 - 05/04/05 03:16 AM Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
stung Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 05/01/05
Posts: 2
Loc: CA
Dear Experts,

I am no electrical enginneer. I have been getting electrical shocks, non-lethal but sharp-pain ones, when I charge my newly bought electronic devices such as digital camera or PDA. I asked the shop owner why it was so, if their products have problem. They told me it was certified and tested to have no such problem and it could be that my home power socket is the problem, that is, electric leakage. I was told that I could find out if that is the case by using a test pen. I am no electrical person. How should I go about it? Is what he said probable? Where and how should I poke the test pen?

Awaiting for your kind advice.

best regards,
stung (by electricity)

Top
#126116 - 05/04/05 04:38 AM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
rcksmith127 Offline
Member

Registered: 04/15/05
Posts: 33
Loc: Danvers, Ma, USA
Stung, with all due respect, call a professional. I have never heard of a "test pen" before. And obviously sticking anything other then a plug into an electrical outlet is not a good idea if you are not aware of what "can" happen. These sales people in the "DIY" industry will give you enough information to be dangerous. Good luck

Top
#126117 - 05/04/05 04:41 AM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
Roxie Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 04/05/05
Posts: 7
what kind of floor and what kind of material are you setting on, is it static ele, or real jolts? I first pluged in my cordless drill and got flattened, but when i pluged it in in the basement, i got nothing.

[This message has been edited by Roxie (edited 05-04-2005).]

Top
#126118 - 05/04/05 05:33 AM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
dmattox Offline
Member

Registered: 10/20/04
Posts: 267
Loc: Anaheim, CA
I find it interesting that you are getting shocked from items with plastic cases. If you had said you got shocked touching your metal refridgerator, then it would be safe to assume your fridge has a short between your hot and the casing. But, for a plastic device to give a shock interests me.

As Roxie asked, can you give more details on exactly how and what you are touching? Like if you touched the screw for the cover plate on the outlet you are plugging into while touching your sink faucet it would give a better picture of whats going on.

But, do NOT try to repeat the shock by touching. As rcksmith127 its probably best to call out a pro.

Top
#126119 - 05/06/05 08:39 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
stung Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 05/01/05
Posts: 2
Loc: CA
Your assumption is wrong. Many digital camera casing are metallic or feels like metallic. A person normally gets electric shock from metallic materials. If I got electric shock when charging the devices, then it must be metallic I think. I thought this is a electrical experts forum. No one is able to advise how to test for leakage. Very disappointing. Anyways, thanks for the replies.

Top
#126120 - 05/06/05 08:52 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
resqcapt19 Offline
Member

Registered: 11/10/00
Posts: 2209
Loc: IL
stung,
You have not provided enough information for anyone to make an informed comment about the possible cause of your "shocks".
Don
_________________________
Don(resqcapt19)

Top
#126121 - 05/06/05 08:58 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
dmattox Offline
Member

Registered: 10/20/04
Posts: 267
Loc: Anaheim, CA
Nice reply to people trying to help you stung. We all were asking for more information to try and help you. And you give a jerkish reply like that?

Nice.

Top
#126122 - 05/06/05 10:14 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
highvoltageguy Offline
Member

Registered: 03/03/05
Posts: 56
Loc: Silt, Colorado, USA
have the expert at the store selling you a test pen thing show you before you buy it, is he bald headed and go bye uncle chester

Top
#126123 - 05/06/05 10:22 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
Tiger Offline
Member

Registered: 05/04/05
Posts: 714
Loc: Crystal Lake, IL USA
Only an idiot would continue to touch something that was giving them shocks. Want to know where to stick the test pen?

Call an electrician.

Dave

Top
#126124 - 05/06/05 11:00 PM Re: Electrical shock from charging electronic devices
dmattox Offline
Member

Registered: 10/20/04
Posts: 267
Loc: Anaheim, CA
I don't know why I'm still trying to help this guy, but I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

I would assume you are refering to a tester like this:


This tool would only tell you if you had power at your receptacle, which you obviously do since you are getting shocked off it. So take it back. This is why no one told you how to use that tool, since it made no sense for you to have it. It for sure wouldn't tell you if you had "electric leakage" or whatever that’s supposed to mean. Maybe he meant a short or a miswired outlet. For checking a miswired outlet you want to use something that looks like this:



Ok, I made an assumption that your devices were plastic (my PDA and camera are btw).

There are several reasons someone would get shocked, this is why we needed you to tell us exactly what you were doing. But the same disclaimer, you should have an electrician come out and check it.



[This message has been edited by dmattox (edited 05-07-2005).]

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals