Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 194 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125944 - 09/27/03 05:57 PM Energy theft the hard way!
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA

An example of the pains that an energy thief will go through to cheat the utility company. This subject took possession of a new home, and immediately cut into the riser from the inside and tapped into the underground lines!

A better view of the cut riser and the wiring that was tapped into. The subject extended the wiring into the attic where a secondary set of circuit breakers was discovered.

ERFERTT

#125945 - 10/01/03 11:00 AM Re: Energy theft the hard way!
Gus1999 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
"Only dumb criminals get caught"

See, what you need to do is install a contactor in line with you "direct" feed. The contactor coil is enegerized through "metered" power. That way when they pull the metetr and measure current, it's zero as expected.

I don't do this or condone it, just an engineering exercise!

#125946 - 10/01/03 04:31 PM Re: Energy theft the hard way!
codeenforcementguy Offline

Loc: Yuma, Arizona USA
"Only dumb criminals get caught"? Sorry Gus that don't fly with me .. only dumb criminals do this stuff. Who gets "caught" are the unsuspecting firefighters that turn the breakers off and then get their hands on energized electrical .. I've been there and seen that and I don't take to people's stupidity killing people that I associate with. The petty thief that pulled the stunt in the photos spent his extra cash on dope .. and bragged about the money he was saving .. his tune was a little different when he was explaining to the judge in California why this felony shouldn't count on their three strikes law. Last I heard he hadn't been heard from wherever they sent him off to, and probably won't for an extended period of time. ERFERTT

#125947 - 10/02/03 09:49 AM Re: Energy theft the hard way!
Gus1999 Offline

Relax, I was just pointing out a joking way someone could possibly get away with this. And FWEIW, my proposed system would be safe as the "bootleg" feed would be dumped via the contactor when the main was dumped.

#125948 - 10/02/03 01:19 PM Re: Energy theft the hard way!

Gus, I don't mean to beat on you meaninglessly but want to be sure that you understand where I am coming from. First, ain't no joking matter because we are talking that people get dead messing with this stuff and unlike the movies and TV .. you don't get over it when you can't bring them back to life. That was my too frequent in my first occupation. Second, your system still involves getting into the utility sections and equipment, that's theft. I don't know the level of your knowledge but I know that messing with by passing can get someone a face full of flashover or meter glass and that messes people up big time. Joe can probably attest to good electrical gone bad and has photos to show the results. The courts consider energy theft as reckless endangerment, bottom line, and it is best not to encourage anyone that may wish to test your theory. ERFERTT

#125949 - 10/02/03 02:02 PM Re: Energy theft the hard way!
Gus1999 Offline

I am an EE. I also think this forum while publically accessable is primarily electrical contractors and engineers.

All if which make more than enough money these days not to have to resort to utility theft.

#125950 - 10/02/03 03:32 PM Re: Energy theft the hard way!
NJwirenut Offline

Loc: Bergen County, NJ
The 2 cases of utility theft that I have come across were done by people who were most likely making a heck of a lot more money than EEs or ECs.

Let's just call them "indoor horticulturists".

As long as high electrical consumption is an excuse for the cops to start an investigation, these people will try to pull power around the meter to run their lights without arousing suspicion. With predictable results, I'm afraid...

#125951 - 10/02/03 04:17 PM Re: Energy theft the hard way!

Gus, I want to assure you that professionals like you are greatly appreciated and are the primary reason that I wanted to participate on this site. There are bad apples in all fields, including mine, but I have found that the overwhelming majority of licensed contractors and professionals are honest and can be trusted. I really appreciate your comments and hope that you take mine in the same spirit. Each day is a learning experience and your input will be put to good use. ERFERTT

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals