by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
2 registered (NORCAL, sparkyinak), 205 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125819 - 05/30/04 07:23 AM Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
I see many of these covers that look like this one or are almost bent into the enclosure. I also find that a rod is used and see no bonding to the metal raceway which is supposed to be there to serve as an EGC.

Do you see similar situations in your areas?

#125820 - 05/30/04 07:35 AM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
Yes and I am sure you as a Boston resident have heard about the dogs that have been killed / received shocks from manhole covers in and around Boston.

I did not find any comfort in N-Stars (The Local POCO) spokespersons comments not to worry people wear shoes so the chance of a person being injured is small.

#125821 - 05/30/04 08:07 AM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
Joe Tedesco Offline

So true!! Here's another taken in Atlantic City, NJ

#125822 - 05/30/04 08:29 AM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I now walk around these when I see them,
why take chances.

#125823 - 05/30/04 07:22 PM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
frenchelectrican Offline

Loc: Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
i did see simuar one in northeast wisconsin too both streetlighing and power co feeder in the underground box.

i have a service call sometime back the cover was not hot but it was steaming pretty good and the police dept did called me {they saw my service truck and approached me and asked for help} i tested the cover it was not hot but yank the cover off i can see one hot conductor was really cooking in the ground [ it was mixed with salt and snow and melt it and went in the cover ] and called poco to help me and found out 4 box are the same sisuation so that why i try to walk around the streetlighting cover all the time and btw the street lighting i work on it was 277/480 volts

merci, marc

#125824 - 05/31/04 09:25 AM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
PCBelarge Offline

Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
It took the death of two different people over two years for Con Edison in NYC to trouble shoot all of their manholes and street lighting this year. They found hundreds of poles, covers and traffic signals with current on them. Somehow (I am curious how) they grounded all of these.

Pierre

#125825 - 06/03/04 06:58 AM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
Joe Tedesco Offline

#125826 - 06/03/04 07:14 PM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
frenchelectrican Offline

Loc: Wi/ Paris France { France for ...
Joe:

the first photo you send it here it almost the excat sisuation i have ran into before and the ground was frozen that time when the conductors decied to act funny there. the only way i get it to thaw it out to remove few inches of mud by leave the power on for while while it heat up the streetlighting pit area then turn the power off and get it clean up, but the photo you send me is the cover is hevey cast iron or hevey steel plate my was bloody thick cast iron cover it weight over 85 lbs

merci , marc

#125827 - 06/05/04 05:14 PM Re: Insecure Cover for Street Lighting
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Ahh yes.. water filled handholes! Reminds me of a service call to a Price Club/Costco to troubleshoot parking lot lights which would keep tripping the breakers (480V)... (wish I had my digicam then!) I went with another electrician to this call.. The store manager said as soon at the timers throw, the breakers trip.. We went & opened up a few hand holes in the poles & found nothing unusual.. then over by the tire shop, we found an underground box (marked irrigation controls!) in a low section of the p-lot.. opened it up & it was full of water.. tests showed no voltage so we shop-vac'ed the water out & found a bunch of #8's someone had spliced together with regular red wirenuts.. a few of them showed signs of burning...
with everyone well away from this thing, I went back to attempt to restore power to see if this was involved with the lights... I reset the circuits & stuck my head out the electrical room door... Sean was standing about 5 feet from the box, which had flames & sparks shooting about 10 feet in the air from it! The store manager jumped scared silly into one of the bays of the tire center hiding behind some Michelins Sean yells out "Hey, I think this might be it!"

Had to repull all runs from this box due to most of them being burned into the conduits.. (this box to the panel was 457') & used some sort of underground/waterproof splicing taps Sean had.. made by 3M... then wrapped them with friction tape & then electrical tape... We went back & checked the box the next morning & again a month later when the box was underwater again to make sure there was no voltage leak... Some sort of GFCI protection for this would've had me sleeping alot easier though!

-Randy

PS, while broken street covers here in CA seem rare from my experience.. hand holes & J-boxes for street lighting equiptment on the freeways seem to be missing in alot of places.. There's a fusible disconnect for a lighted fwy sign on the 101 Fwy thats been without cover since at least the early 90s!

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals