The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!


2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Yesterday at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125655 - 10/08/04 04:33 AM Unused Openings for Circuit Breakers
Joe Tedesco Offline

Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 3325
Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
New rule in the 2005 NEC:

408.7. Unused Openings. Unused openings for circuit breakers and switches shall be closed using identified closures, or other approved means that provide protection substantially equivalent to the wall of the enclosure.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

#125656 - 10/08/04 05:04 PM Re: Unused Openings for Circuit Breakers
e57 Offline

Registered: 05/27/03
Posts: 2837
Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Sounds like we'll need to add a tack welder to the tool box, or breaker seals will have to be 14 ga steel. What about all those old panels that may be hard to fit something like that in? I did some work on a CH PB type today, that had all lower 20 or so knocked out, and sealed with the pastic ones.
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

#125657 - 10/08/04 07:22 PM Re: Unused Openings for Circuit Breakers
classicsat Offline

Registered: 11/23/02
Posts: 449
Or approved. IMO approved doesn't necessarily mean welded 14 Ga steel (if you AHJ recognizes that, all the better for you I guess).

Schnieder electric makes snap in hole fills for FPE panels. They are plastic, but approved none the less (I think come in a unit of four, which you can disassemble as needed, I belive new panels come with them instead of knock out steel bits),.


ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals