by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
2 registered (NORCAL, sparkyinak), 205 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125629 - 11/08/04 11:54 AM Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
 Quote:
Joe,

I don't understand the "What's Wrong Here?" situation below. The cable not UL listed? The box is not UL listed? What is the problem? I think that a home-made extension cord is OK for personal use as long as it is properly made with the correct size wire and grounded.

Thanks.

http://ecmweb.com/nec/whats_wrong_110804/

#125630 - 11/08/04 01:34 PM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
resqcapt19 Offline

Loc: IL
The box is not listed for use on a cord. It is intended to be mounted to something. There are listed "pendent" boxes available for this application.
Don

#125631 - 11/08/04 01:39 PM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
SvenNYC Offline

Loc: New York City
Well, my biggest problem is the box & receptacle. They're not designed for mobile use.

Knockout slugs in the box get broken loose, exposing dangerous current-carrying parts. The plastic face of the socket can also get cracked.

A more "respectable" use could have been to get a female rubber connector (which are LISTED for such use) and use that instead of the handibox. If you need more sockets, plug a six-outlet power-strip into the rubber connector.

I won't get into the quality of the receptacle the person used. It's one of those 50 cent Home-Depot specials by Leviton (bad experience with those, they are very flimsy in construction).

Then there's the issue of the plug. It's got no strain relief cord-clamp (easier for the wires to get ripped out) and it's not a "dead-front".

One positive thing I can say about this, is that the maker bonded the box with a pigtail to the device & the extension cord.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-08-2004).]

#125632 - 11/08/04 09:14 PM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...

They are pricey, but well built for the application… www.woodhead.com/data/current1488/multiple%20outlet%20boxes%20902.pdf [½MB]

#125633 - 11/09/04 02:41 PM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
wa2ise Offline

Loc: Oradell NJ USA
People probably figure that materials designed for use in house wiring are more than adequate for extension cord use. In reality, extension cord design has different requirements than those of house wiring, and these requirements do not completely overlap. Electrical house wiring boxes are not designed to be tossed about the way extension cords see. Electrical boxes' knockouts are normally protected from abuse by the structure of the wall (sheetrock, etc.). And thus never get stepped on and such.

#125634 - 11/10/04 09:45 AM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
jdadamo Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
I would just like to write a brief note on why I had the publisher remove my pictures from the article.

I agree that the way it was described by Mr Tedesco would suggest a non-ideal use for such parts. I would never even think of powering my computer with that cord--I have a 750VA UPS powering all my computer equipment. It's plugged directly into a grounded outlet.

This cord used to be in my basement work-shop with a P&S Spec grade outlet installed in it. I recently replaced the box and plate and outlet because the old ones were showing signs of wear. Now I live in an apartment and the only use of this cord is for 5 minutes a couple times a week for a hairdryer. I like it because its too heavy to accidentally (without noticing) lift off the floor and, perhaps, jump into the sink or toilet or bath.

I live in Canada, and my gf's dad is a sparky and he makes cables like this all the time, and he says there is nothing in the CEC that makes them illegal for temporary use.

As for why I had the pictures removed, I think either one of two things should've happened: The pictures should not be accompanying a false story, or Mr. Tedesco should've asked for permission before using the pictures, and possibly revealed his plans for them. Unauthorized use of pictures is a copyright violation.

Joe, you're an electrician. You probably have a truckload of spare parts and five minutes of your time that you could've used to create your own pictures of something like that if you wanted to do a segment on it to raise awareness or whatever your original intent was.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone, especially Mr. Tedesco. I read his posts and articles on a regular basis and I thoroughly enjoy them. I never imagined that he would use pictures without permission and out of context.

Thanks for your time. This is not intended to start a flame war or any other problems. I just felt I should clear this up before the speculation begins.

[This message has been edited by jdadamo (edited 11-10-2004).]

#125635 - 11/10/04 09:39 PM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
Joe Tedesco Offline

Top Canadian Code Authority Gives an Interpretation:
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=7488

Tine to concede Joey!!

#125636 - 11/11/04 02:13 AM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
Joe Tedesco Offline

This copyrighted too and the whole world has enjoyed it and many have this framed next to there work space! I see this used at seminars around the country and I won an award for this years ago.

#125637 - 11/11/04 04:37 AM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
Joe Tedesco Offline

[img]http://enews.primediabusiness.com/enews/electricalzone/codewatch/2004_11_08_november_8_2004/whats_wrong_here/graphic[/img]

Speculation? What do you mean?

#125638 - 11/11/04 07:53 AM Re: Why is this illegal according to the NEC and OSHA?
jdadamo Offline

Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada
You know what Joe, fine; it might not be regarded by any safety organization as safe... now I might not be an expert but all that the CSA specification you've provided tells me is that these won't be going on store shelves for sale to the general public. I still feel that it falls just fine under temporary wiring, and if only used by me--I'm not going to be doing anything to it that will endanger myself because I'm not about to be pushing in the knockouts or otherwise.

Additionally, for someone as picky as you are about electrical code violations, I think perhaps you need to be just as considerate about copyright violations. You may not find them in the NEC, but they are still laws too.

I suggest before using anybody's pictures that you actually bother to ask them for permission first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals