Now Available!

Recent Posts
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
Yesterday at 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
230 or 345 kV transmission lines?
by annemarie1
10/12/16 01:23 PM
Is this a fix or just a bandaid?
by gfretwell
10/10/16 06:49 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
renosteinke 6
HotLine1 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125473 - 02/27/05 03:52 AM The Worst Job Ever!
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

#125474 - 02/27/05 10:45 PM Re: The Worst Job Ever!
nesparky Offline

Loc: omaha,ne
Can you get the inspectors in there? That building needs a lot of work and perhaps shut down untill it's done

#125475 - 02/28/05 09:43 AM Re: The Worst Job Ever!
SvenNYC Offline

Loc: New York City

And I thought I had it bad with finding cockroach (dead AND live) inside of radios and TV sets needing repair.

#125476 - 02/28/05 07:58 PM Re: The Worst Job Ever!
CanadianSparky Offline

Loc: Alberta Canada
Ive read this 3 times now and still cant believe it. Its gonna be tough complaining to my boss about sending me to some dive now. This is way worse than anything Ive ever been sent to.

#125477 - 03/07/05 09:11 PM Re: The Worst Job Ever!
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Joe you still have this around.....
I was doing so well trying to forget that mess!

FYI this was not long after I had come back to my current employer, after a short stint on my own.

I still think about doing something else for a living just thinking about it.

The owner of the Company likes to do what he considers "Charity" work for these hotels. I sent a bunch of guys in after this service call to pull the whole mess out, and put a few new panels in. Aparently, the phone company was there for weeks.... Lucky them!

Inspectors wont shut these things down, as our Mayor used these (Single Room Occupancies) a part of his (Care Not Cash) campagne to use them as homeless shelters. They are a political hot potato! Most are run, (like this one) by an Maintenance inept charity given mandate by the Mayor, they took them over by eminante domain from thier owners who run them in to the ground. On average 1-3 burn a year, due to various reasons, mostly electrical. They are death traps! As each room is allowed to have as many appliances (Microwaves toasters, TV's stereo's hot plates.) as they want. Too bad for the most part, (until my boss started up-grading them for next to nothing) they had up to six rooms per 20A circuit. The tenents had access to flip thier tripped CB's back on nightly. Sooner or later the in-house maintenance crew would throw a 30A in. An Admin guy for the place actually asked my boss if he could help out a few years back. Since we have distanced ourselfs from the mess as it was not working out. They still had these idiots doing thier own work, and it became a liablity factory. Saw one with a 200 service, with 200A on the neutral. Fuses were hot, but didn't blow at 195A a piece for who knows how long. Told them to reduce the load or up-grade service, they couldn't afford the service equipment with the labor they were getting at far below rate. I wonder when that neutrals going to melt, or how long they can keep up an un-supervised program of load reduction? I really do feel for these people, and the only reason I even step in the door is thier are families in them.
Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals