Register Now!

Register Now!

We want your input!

Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
Today at 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 201 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125460 - 04/20/05 05:03 PM NEC book options and other things
Chris Parsons Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Hello, I’ve been lurking around here for a while but this is my first post. I'm not an EC, I’m a student and a sound engineer. I live in California. I've got a few questions so please bear with me...

I'm going to be wiring up a newly remodeled house this summer. It’s two stories, 2 bedrooms/bath upstairs, and 1 bedroom/garage/living room/kitchen downstairs. I don’t know the sq. footage off hand. I've got plenty of real-world experience with residential wiring and have done smaller jobs (to code!) without problem. This will be my first entire house project. I'm convinced that with, the proper tools, and time, I won't have any problems doing this job. I plan on doing everything on this job AFTER the main service panel. That's the only aspect of the job that I want to leave to a licensed contractor. Does this sound reasonable?

I want to get the 2005 NEC code book but there are different versions it seems. Which one should I get and where do you recommend that I buy it?

This is a job for a friend’s family. I don’t plan on doing it for free however I don’t want to charge near what a real EC would. Is it ethical to ask an EC for a quote with no intention of hireling him? Can any of you give me a rough idea (very rough) of how much a job like this would normally cost them? I apologize if I’ve offended anyone by asking this.

Thanks for your time,

Chris Parsons

#125461 - 04/20/05 05:11 PM Re: NEC book options and other things
Redsy Offline

Loc: Bucks County PA
It IS unethical to ask for a quote with no intention of hiring.

It is called lying.

Anyway,

To buy an NEC without being an electrician is probably a waste of money.
There will be much more content than you need to simply wire a home, and the content you do need won't be easily accessible to you.

They should hire a Contractor for a job like this.

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 04-20-2005).]

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals