by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 9
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Trumpy 6
Who's Online
0 registered (), 230 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125210 - 07/07/04 01:26 PM A few questions about Electrical Codes/ Inspections
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am working at a new dance club in Seattle, WA which is currently being remodeled. The existing electrical system was a complete mess. I would have taken some pictures for you guys for the “Code Violation Pictures” section of this forum if I had known about this site. Anyway I'm not a professional electrician in any way, but I'm very organized with my work, and the veteran electrician that checked over my work said everything I've done so far looks good.
We’re not changing any of the lines into the breaker boxes, or the location of any of the boxes themselves. Yet nearly everything after each breaker box is being removed and replaced. We are using MC conduit to wire outlets and recessed can lights in each room.

1) The Seattle energy code limits the amount of permanent lighting you can have per square foot of floor space. For our building we found that the limitations are 1 watt per sq of common area, or 0.8 watt per sqft of bathroom. These numbers seem ridiculously low to me, as a 20w fixture is not enough to light a 5' x 5' bathroom. Is this code something I need to worry about? Or are those limitations just recommendations for an energy conscious building?

2) Ridgid conduit can not be bent more then 360 degrees between pull points, but pre fabricated flexible conduit (metal clad/armor clad) can be bent as much as needed because the cables don’t need to be pulled through. Is this correct?

3) What should we expect when the electrical inspector comes? I’m trying to get an idea of how the actual inspection process takes place, and what we should do to prepare for it. How long does an inspection usually last? The building we are working on is about 13,000 sf. Should we expect the inspector to drop in for a half hour and look around, or should we expect him to be there all day checking if every piece of conduit is strapped down 12” from each j-box? Obviously all inspectors are different, but I’m trying to get an idea of what to expect.

4) What is the process if something we’ve done does not pass the inspection? I’m confident that any mistake we’ve made will be small, so fixing anything that doesn’t pass should be fairly easy. Will an inspector generally just return in a week or two to verify that the changes have been made? The people I’m working for made it sound like if the electrical inspector is unhappy after his first visit then we might as well default on our lease and find a new building, but I get the feeling that they just said that to make us work harder.

5) All of our work has been done using MC conduit. So far we’ve been careful to strap it down 12” from each j-box or fixture, and then every 3’ after that. We’ve also made sure that no kinks were formed in any of the lines. Is there anything else we should watch out for with this MC conduit?

6) If running multiple branches down one piece of conduit do you need to run multiple neutrals and or grounds for each branch?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions, but this is all I could think of tonight. I’ll post some more later. Thanks.

#125211 - 07/07/04 01:31 PM Re: A few questions about Electrical Codes/ Inspections
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also I'll post a few pictures of the breaker boxes, and wiring that we've done after we've finished.

#125212 - 07/07/04 01:54 PM Re: A few questions about Electrical Codes/ Inspections
Ryan_J Offline

Loc: West Jordan, Utah, USA
I beleive what you are doing is unlawful. I got this information from the Washington State Legislature's website.

Quote:
RCW 19.28.041
License required -- General or specialty licenses -- Fees -- Application -- Bond or cash deposit.
(1) It is unlawful for any person, firm, partnership, corporation, or other entity to engage in, conduct, or carry on the business of installing or maintaining wires or equipment to convey electric current, or installing or maintaining equipment to be operated by electric current as it pertains to the electrical industry, without having an unrevoked, unsuspended, and unexpired electrical contractor license, issued by the department in accordance with this chapter. All electrical contractor licenses expire twenty-four calendar months following the day of their issue. The department may issue an electrical contractors license for a period of less than twenty-four months only for the purpose of equalizing the number of electrical contractor licenses that expire each month. Application for an electrical contractor license shall be made in writing to the department, accompanied by the required fee.

You can see these laws at this site, if you would like:
http://www.leg.wa.gov/rcw/index.cfm?fuseaction=chapter&chapter=19.28&RequestTimeout=500

#125213 - 07/07/04 02:16 PM Re: A few questions about Electrical Codes/ Inspections
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
 Quote:
I am working at a new dance club in Seattle, WA which is currently being remodeled.

aireq, A dance club would most likely be considered to be a "Place of Assembly".

Places of assembly have much stricter electrical rules and because of this should only be worked on by those familiar with these different requirements.

The potential for a tragic loss of life at a dance club has been proven many times at this point.

There is no doubt permits need to be pulled and inspections performed.

You want to work with electricity?

Please keep it to the wiring in your own home, do not risk hurting others.

Bob

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals