by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
Wow, that was close!
by jraef
11/28/16 07:06 PM
Earthquake in New Zeeland
by RODALCO
11/27/16 11:25 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by Tjia1981
11/27/16 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 15
HotLine1 10
Trumpy 8
Texas_Ranger 8
sparkyinak 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 101 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125168 - 01/25/04 05:03 PM In general
Ryan_J Offline

Loc: West Jordan, Utah, USA
What is broken with your local IAEI chapter and how do we fix it?

#125169 - 01/26/04 09:40 PM Re: In general
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Ryan,

I don't know if anything's broken with mine, but it's been a long time since I've been to a meeting.

Many of the same people are members of my local Contractor's association and similar topics are discussed there. So, I've been lazy I guess. But as I said elsewhere I will be making an effort to start attending those meetings again to see what is going on.

I will say that they used to run some top notch seminars and at reasonable prices. I'd say that helps justify the dues.

BTW, My contractor's association dues are $150/per year and there's no Magazine or Free Code Book, but they do run some nice educational programs and seminars at low or no cost. I have no complaints about the IAEI dues.

Bill

#125170 - 01/26/04 09:54 PM Re: In general
PCBelarge Offline

Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
This will probably piss some people off, but...
Reactive and Proactive. There are some who are willing to pay and wait for things to come to them, when that doesn't happen they just do not seem to understand why. Then there are those who go out and work to make it happen... usually volunteering their time. I have been a member for a long time, and I am a member of other organizations. I had a board meeting tonight that was over at 10 pm. It takes us a tremendous amount of effort and time to get things accomplished. When I first joined, I could not understand why things took so long, Now I know why.

Every year we are getting better at it and soon the benefits of what we are trying to do will be very rewarding.

I will admit the IAEI has not performed as we would all like, but I think that can be remedied over time with cooperation of all - even those who are dissatisfied.

It will take an effort by all parties

Pierre

#125171 - 01/27/04 08:14 PM Re: In general
Bill Addiss Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Pierre,

It was nice 'chatting' with you the other night. You seem like you are genuinely interested in what you do.

As far as people being disappointed with the Association whereas they were happy before I wonder if some of it could be contributed to the easier access we now have to information.

IMO the interacting with others in the trade and differing opinions and interpretations from the inspection community made it a special place to be. Now that much of this is readily available online from various sources membership and going to meetings may seem less important.

IMO, Education and solid, qualified information is the key to revitalizing things. To do that I think the Internet has to be used more to it's potential to get information out faster and to accomodate people in differing situations.

If someone can't make a meeting wouldn't it be great if they could still find out what happened later that night, or the next day? What if they're travelling? How do the decisions made at your local chapter compare with others across the country?

The answers to these questions involves using the conveniences found on the internet. People will still attend meetings, and if those that can't still have ready access to its results they will have more feeling of belonging. Having an online component would allow members to present issues and get answers much quicker than waiting for it to be brought up at that monthly meeting. Now, I don't know how these things could be best done but I think all of the tools are already out there (or here).

Bill

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals