OK, OK... let's just say that sometimes even I show a casual disregard for the fine print of the code. So, take this post as a confession (good for the soul), and not, heaven forbid, as an encouragement to violate the "Holy Writ" of the NEC.
I took a ammo box, formerly used for 40MM ammo:
I added some charcoal:
I set the pipe and cover like so:
The pipe used is schedule 80, 1" PVC. Before long, it drooped like this:
From this, wearing gloves, I made this nice, unscorched bend:
But, alas, all was not happy. I had some heat damage to the asphalt. While I was able to patch (using roofing cement), I took heed and added a pair of pieces of strut to the bottom, to let some air flow under the box.