Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123390 - 03/27/06 03:49 PM Transformer Room
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
Friday I went about 60 miles North of here to look at pricing a remodel. The building was vacant but the GC told me the entry code over the phone. He said " There's a 1200 amp service existing" When I got there I couldn't see a service drop. When I got inside this smelly old place the power was on.

I went to the basement in search of panels. Sure enough I found the 1200 amp switch, nothing out the top nothing out the bottom, must feed from behind. Immediatly to the left was an unlocked door. I opened said door and saw nothing but dark, but I heard a familiar 60hz hum. Something told me not to stick my hand in fumbling for a light switch. I went to the truck for a
flashlight.

- Rabbit

Tools for Electricians:
#123391 - 03/27/06 05:27 PM Re: Transformer Room
feather Offline

Loc: Santa Maria CA USA
that really ticks me off no sign or lock let alone interlocked. And they say industrial locations are bad.

#123392 - 03/27/06 05:42 PM Re: Transformer Room
mxslick Offline

Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Wow!! Talk about a nightmare. I had a friend whose dad lost his arm in a room eerily like this one, exposed buss lugs, a slip while entering (from above, no door) and complete loss of his right arm at the armpit.

The middle and far tubs show signs of oil leakage,too. Older tubs, probably PCB to boot.

The unlocked door makes this a criminal act. Was the door to the electrical room locked? But even so, this should be accessable by the POCO only!!

What was the primary voltage?

#123393 - 03/27/06 08:44 PM Re: Transformer Room
napervillesoundtech Offline

Loc: Naperville, IL, USA
It's good you know what you're dealing with. That ladder back there scares me a little. This is not a place for some unqualified person to be ''just poking around''

#123394 - 03/28/06 02:06 AM Re: Transformer Room
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
I would be very surprised if this section of the building is not deeded to the electric supply company and it should have power company locks on it.

This is not that unusual around here however I have never found one of these power company vaults left unlocked.

You might want to give the POCO a call about this situation.

#123395 - 03/28/06 07:25 AM Re: Transformer Room
sandro2 Offline

Loc: philadelphia,PA
It's a good thing that humming sound is stuck in your memory.

#123396 - 03/28/06 06:49 PM Re: Transformer Room
NORCAL Offline

Good reason to carry a flashlight in a unfamiliar building.

#123397 - 03/29/06 02:17 PM Re: Transformer Room
Gus99 Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What are you complaining about? The HV side is insulated. Surley that LV secondary is harmless.

#123398 - 03/29/06 03:52 PM Re: Transformer Room
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Gus,
 Quote:
What are you complaining about? The HV side is insulated. Surley that LV secondary is harmless.

Personally, I don't think I'd like to trip and fall onto one (or across two ) of those bare termination lugs.
Simple Ohms Law tells me that the chances of getting off it unscathed would be pretty remote.
Regardless of where these transformers are situated, I reckon there should be shrouds over them, from a Health and Safety perspective.

#123399 - 03/29/06 04:19 PM Re: Transformer Room
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
I really must object to the rounded profiles that the tops of these transformers have. Where else am I supposed to set my tools, papers, and coffer mug?
:-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals