ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122998 - 02/19/06 05:04 AM Apartment Water Leak
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Ah, how I love getting a service call with a description "We had a water pipe leak and heard some noises and lost power to our exercise room". Sounds like a long night's work coming...

In a 14 story apartment building in Alexandria, VA we found this GE panel (which had seen better days by the time we showed up)on the first floor which had suffered a water leak directly above. The pics are pretty self descriptive, but here is the back story.

Maintenance guys from the building showed up when a tenant discovered water on the floor and noise coming from a nearby electrical panel and made a call. Luckily (for the maintenance guy) the fault had blown the fuses in the distribution bucket in the basement so when they opened the panel nothing was hot. If the fuses had not gone this could have been pretty bad for the first one to take a look at the problem. The panel has been replaced and the water line relocated, and for me it is a good reminder of why we need to follow code (and common sense) when doing installations.

Pete Brogan

Tools for Electricians:
#122999 - 02/19/06 05:17 AM Re: Apartment Water Leak
Dnkldorf Offline

Loc: nowhere usa

#123000 - 02/19/06 05:35 AM Re: Apartment Water Leak
sandro2 Offline

Loc: philadelphia,PA
All that damage doesn't look recent. It looks like its been leaking for quite a while.

#123001 - 02/19/06 07:55 AM Re: Apartment Water Leak
Rewired Offline

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Looks like one of them old school "liquid cooled" panels

Seriously though that looks like quite the cooker that one... Amazing what a little water and some dirt can do to electrical equipment...
Maybe its a good thing that panel there has gotten the "eviction notice"... I never really thought those OLD G.E breakers were too good anyway, they seemed "weak" and always seemed to get hot and trip for no reason...

#123002 - 02/19/06 10:15 AM Re: Apartment Water Leak

Loc: Titirangi, Akld, New Zealand
Good piccies mate,
Drip, drip, drip, gush, gush, more water, corrosion, arcs, hissing, B A N G ! !
It looks that the water has leaked here for a while.
The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.

#123003 - 02/19/06 12:12 PM Re: Apartment Water Leak
ShockMe77 Offline

Loc: Rahway, New Jersey
It's some how rewarding to know that I'm not the only one who gets to do work like this!

#123004 - 02/20/06 06:08 AM Re: Apartment Water Leak
BKey Offline

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida
In Pic #3 was the lug on the left cracked? It appears to be.
Bryan L. Key
Safety Inspector/Trainer
Terry's Electric Inc.
An Xcelecom Company
600 N. Thacker Ave., Suite A
Kissimmee, Florida 34741

#123005 - 02/20/06 08:30 PM Re: Apartment Water Leak
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Kinda funny.... The last GE panel (THQP, not quite as old as the one above) I changed was in an apartment, which suffered water damage from the kids upstairs overfilling the bathtub....

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals