ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
jo Offline OP
It’s amazing how many untrained ppl are trying to do electrical

Check out this question http://www.elec-toolbox.com/qaforum2/_disc4/00000bac.htm

M
Hi Jo,
This topic keeps rearing its ugly head. I do not know the answer. Many opinions to this issue have been expressed on this forum and others. If it becomes too big of a problem I would have no trouble restricting membership by having to meet some qualifying criteria.

My question: I do not know how these forums work; but, I wonder, is there a financial reward for more hits on a web site? If the site were restricted to qualified people then less people would, probably, view and participate in the site, thus a possible loss of revenue. Please don’t get angry with me I’m just trying to figure out why this concern keeps appearing (thread sometimes started by moderators) and nothing is done. Why?

The forum is open to everyone so anyone can post a question. As we see it doesn’t mean it will get answered the way the questioner wants - but they can ask. I personally would like all posted questions answered in depth.

I’m a licensed electrician that has spent most of my life doing electrical maintenance in a large manufacturing plant. I enjoy this site and others like it because a lot of the questions I’ve had over the years and could not get answered in the plant are answered here (sometimes with varying opinions). I like that. I also use this site to peak my interest and motivate myself to study the code and electrical theory and to try to find some of the answers on my own.

If I am out of line let me know. I’m still learning. I do not want to offend anyone but I know I do it sometimes.

I got to go get ready for the midnight shift, good night.

Jo,

Yes, it is frustrating...

Mike,

There are no plans for any 'Tests' or to restrict any membership here. The consensus is also against any type of closed forum.

As to why the subject of DIY comes up? I would say that many times it is out of some frustration about what is going on out there.

As far as something being done, when it is discussed as pertaining to this Forum I think it does accomplish something if members can voice their opinions and end up basically on the same page. Others that read the thread can also get some idea of what type of a group we have and some basic goals of this Forum. That way, there is less of a problem with "unwanted" types of questions and less reason to think about any restrictive measures.

Please note that any discussion on this topic does not necessarily pertain to any active topics and could even be purely hypothetical in nature. The number of questions (or askers) that don't belong here IMO is a very small percentage. So maybe discussion on this topic could be seen largely as 'preventative maintenance'.

I do think that we have probably beat this subject enough to last for awhile though.

[Linked Image]
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 08-02-2002).]

Bill
B
Maybe do a variation on this:
http://www.ucomics.com/looseparts/2002/08/11/

BJ,

Is this what you mean? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image from images.ucomics.com]

We could have the test after the kits have been completed. [Linked Image]

Bill

Bill
S
$3 well spent as i'm feeling much better now.......
[Linked Image]

G
MikeW is offensive??????? Holy Smoke, what's that make me?

OH, now I see it clearly, you guys just wanna exclude ME!!!!!!!

Wait, how much are those kits again?? [Linked Image]

S
well....the mother mag has a 'poll' ...

Link Copied to Clipboard