ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119890 - 02/05/05 12:54 PM AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
Admin Offline

Administrator
Loc: NY, USA
Quote:
This picture is a single pole 15 amp GE afci breaker with a single pole 15 amp standard breaker connected with a handle tie. Is this ok? It feeds a multiwire circuit. Other problems with this service are double grounded conductors under one terminal, grounded and grounding conductors under one terminal, other manufacturers breakers not isted for the panel, and the 15 of unfused SE cable in the picture on another thread. Sorry for the fuzzy picture.

Electricmanscott
Tools for Electricians:
#119891 - 02/05/05 01:02 PM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
DougW Offline
Loc: North Chicago, IL
IIRC, as long as the handle tie is designed for that purpose (not a cut-down nail or 2 breakers zip-tied together) it's ok...
#119892 - 02/05/05 04:54 PM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant
Loc: Blue Collar Country
I have more than a little concern as to the overalll competence of whoever did this work.

The handle tie, while not in itself a violation, defies logic. As with GFI breakers, you can't share a neutral between circuits- so this cannot be for a multi-wire branch circuit. So the big question is: WHY?

As for the multiple conductors under one screw, you can probable sort the mess out by grouping the grounds - as many as three are permitted (per UL white book). An easy fix.
#119893 - 02/07/05 09:30 AM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
Ryan_J Offline
Loc: West Jordan, Utah, USA
A lot of people have a misunderstanding of where handle ties are required. For example, I had an electrician insist that handle ties were required when more than one circuit was in a box!

I'll bet this was the case here. I have no problem with the installation.
#119894 - 02/07/05 09:31 AM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
Ryan_J Offline
Loc: West Jordan, Utah, USA
Doug: Under the 2002, handle ties needed only be "approved". It wasn't until the 2005 that handle ties were required to be "identified".
#119895 - 02/07/05 04:24 PM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
Electricmanscott Offline
Loc: Holden, MA USA
This feeds a multiwire circuit. The neutral is connected to the afci breaker. It just seems wrong. why it was done I don't know.
#119896 - 02/07/05 04:38 PM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
cpal Offline
Loc: Cohasset MA
This was a service upgrade??

If it was installed in the beginning of 02, The MEC originally required AFCI on panel changes. That was rescinded in May of 02, but there was only a mailing to the inspectors. Lack of funding.

Also the only mfg at that time that I am aware had a 2 pole AFCI was CH (I may be mistaken, but that was the conventional wisdom)

If the time line seems right! this could have been a feeble attempt to address the AFCI issue. Not a very good attempt but that might be the motivation!

Charlie
#119897 - 02/08/05 05:25 AM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
Electricmanscott Offline
Loc: Holden, MA USA
Charlie this is the panel from the other pitcture I posted regarding the SE cable. It was installed last fall as part of a renovation and addition. The house had a bedroom added. I have no idea why this needed a two pole breaker. From what I saw it is a multiwire circuit feedeing some things in the new bedroom and an office. From the work that I saw there I think the electrician is not educated as to when handle ties are needed, among many other things.
#119898 - 02/08/05 07:34 PM Re: AFCI Breaker, Misc Violations
DougW Offline
Loc: North Chicago, IL
Ryan - wasn't sure of the date on the "approval" language, but I'd seen pics of some rather imaginative ties on Joe T's website, and remembered some of the discussion.

Missed the one breaker being AFCI... sorry.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 121 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals