The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#119627 - 01/10/05 06:38 PM Leaking Vault
electure Offline


Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 4226
Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Wait a minute.......Isn't the water supposed to come out of the yellow thing?

Tools for Electricians:
#119628 - 01/10/05 10:40 PM Re: Leaking Vault
Big Jim Offline

Registered: 07/18/03
Posts: 377
Loc: Denver, CO USA
I would say it is definitly not OK

#119629 - 01/10/05 11:16 PM Re: Leaking Vault
mxslick Offline

Registered: 10/24/04
Posts: 785
Loc: Atomic City, ID USA
Actually that IS O.K., it means the sump pump in the vault is working....
Stupid should be painful.

#119630 - 01/11/05 07:28 AM Re: Leaking Vault
SvenNYC Offline

Registered: 08/19/02
Posts: 1685
Loc: New York City
Off topic. That's a strange looking fire-plug. What city is this?

#119631 - 01/11/05 07:59 PM Re: Leaking Vault
Sir Arcsalot Offline

Registered: 11/17/03
Posts: 117
Loc: Lynden, Washington
As to the fireplug, it looks normal to me... Appears to be a Rensselaer.

The "non-freeze-resistant" types (the official name escapes me) do look quite different, at least to me- saw them when I was in San Diego a few years back...

Edited for clarification (hopefully!)

[This message has been edited by Sir Arcsalot (edited 01-11-2005).]
No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.

#119632 - 01/12/05 02:54 AM Re: Leaking Vault
Trumpy Offline


Registered: 07/05/02
Posts: 8540
Loc: SI,New Zealand
Looks like there might be some sort of a gearing mechanism in the top of that Hydrant, judging by the shape of the top part.
Possibly, this could be to turn it on quicker than a direct drive spindle.
Could one of the FF's here please explain why there are two sizes of couplings on that Hydrant?.
The larger one looks like a standard Feeder size, what is the smaller one for?.

{Message edited to add last question}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-12-2005).]
Let's face it, these days if you're not young, you're old - Red Green grin

#119633 - 01/12/05 07:37 AM Re: Leaking Vault
pauluk Offline

Registered: 08/11/01
Posts: 7693
Loc: Norfolk, England
You're lucky you can see the fittings to ask questions. All the fire hydrants in Britain are located under the pavement, accessed by lifting a cover plate. There is then a yellow marker sign at the side of the road to show locations.

The following link is aimed at kids, but it demonstrates the method quite effectively:

(The firemen among you might find the pages about the London Fire Brigade of interest.)

#119634 - 01/12/05 12:02 PM Re: Leaking Vault
denny3992 Offline

Registered: 01/09/05
Posts: 53
Loc: orwigsburg,pa USA
The 2 types of connections are refered to as steamer and 2 1/2 most places use the steamer, usually 5" connection because of ease of use, amount of flow and less friction loss (resistance) as for the type of hydrant it might be a dry type which means there is a stem from the top of the hydrant down to the H20 main as to prevent freezing. in warmer places the use a hydrant like you see in the movies and this picture when someone runs it over the water shoots out... there is water up to street level.

Hope i covered it

Thanks Denny

#119635 - 01/12/05 12:53 PM Re: Leaking Vault
sparked Offline

Registered: 09/23/03
Posts: 101
Loc: Raleigh
Memory Archive Time:

A few years back, I saw in the Washington Post (I think) about a large fire that had occured in the early days of hydrants and such. I believe the fire was in Baltimore. Anyway, they called in several firefighters from the nearby ares. It took several hours for them to get to the city in horse-drawn wagons, etc. They arrived greeeted by the displaced residents cheering them on. They tried to connect to the hydrants, but each had is own standard of hydrant thread (The Baltimore hydrants had only one size, rendering the new help useless.)

Later they came up with the new hydrants. (ie multiple sizes).

Hope this helps somebody,

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 01-12-2005).]

#119636 - 01/12/05 04:01 PM Re: Leaking Vault
codeenforcementguy Offline

Registered: 08/27/03
Posts: 30
Loc: Yuma, Arizona USA
I think they call that a "dry barrel" hydrant, common in very cold places > also common in the desert for some reason ????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals