ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#119439 12/27/04 06:40 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Came across this in a manufactured home fire recently, and although it did not appear to be the origin of the fire, it looks like it could have been next in line for one.

- codeenforcementguy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#119440 12/27/04 11:03 PM
codeenforcementguy:

Were there other breakers to the left of the burned one? What condition were they in?
And the top breaker on the left side looks like some more melting is happening in the screw area.

Second pic:
At least some of the other breakers appear to have tripped during the fire...

Thermostat pic: Was this the point of origin? I've heard of a few LV t'stats causing fires. If not, what was the cause of the fire?

Waht a sad thing to happen right before Xmas....

Stupid should be painful.
#119441 12/28/04 10:23 AM
C
Mxslick: No breakers were installed to the left side of the AC breakers. The panel cover was intact and in place, and the knockouts were not disturbed. The thermostat was not the cause, that photo was just to confirm that the settings were in the off position. Cause appeared to be a flammable liquid spill. As my aunt used to say "it appeared to be Arsenic." It was still in the process of investigation at the time I left the scene.

#119442 01/02/05 07:18 PM
I've found this a few times when I've pulled breakers out of the ITE style panels... It almost seems like either the contacts in the breaker didnt completely make & they heated up to London Broil temperatures, or corrosion occured between the breaker & the contact stab in the panel & thus lead to a heated connection... I've yet to come across this leading to an actual "structure involved" fire call... But none the less, evidence of that kind of heat having been present does make me think to "double check" all those connections & lugs...

Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard