Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118130 - 08/12/04 09:15 PM Burnt Outlet
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
Got a call for power loss in the kitchen... found this beauty behind the fridge... The owner of this house states he has lived here for 23 years & that it wasn't installed by him, so these connections held up at least that long with a washer/dryer & a kitchen counter outlet downline!!

- Randy

Tools for Electricians:
#118131 - 08/12/04 11:44 PM Re: Burnt Outlet
SolarPowered Offline

Loc: Palo Alto, CA, USA
Those two connections look really consistent... I bet there are a bunch more just like them in the rest of the house.

#118132 - 08/13/04 02:35 AM Re: Burnt Outlet
PCBelarge Offline

Loc: Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA
Look at the old Bakelite box, I wonder where the equipment ground is?

Pierre

#118133 - 08/13/04 08:24 AM Re: Burnt Outlet
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Pierre just caught what I was waiting for someone to notice...

I ended up installing a GFCI in the next outlet before this one since this was a kitchen anyways... putting it behind the fridge might be kind of annoying

-Randy

#118134 - 08/13/04 12:49 PM Re: Burnt Outlet
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Solar,
I looked around this house for anything similar to the Sierra outlet here & didn't find any... The kitchen had been remodeled, but no one ever bothered to change out this outlet... (outta sight, outta mind! :rolleyes

-Randy

#118135 - 08/30/04 06:00 AM Re: Burnt Outlet
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
Not to mention it's solidly painted.

Last week I had a look at the wiring at my grandmother's place in Germany. About every single screw in the apartment was loose! I spent several days opening every single switch, receptacle, plug, power strip, trailing socket,... to retighten all screws. 2 plugs were already noticeably burnt from screws that were not only loose but obviously never had been tightened at all!
Not to mention the box with double light switch and grounded receptacle with only black and grey wires inside (all black including the ground and a grey neutral)... or the brown ground wires in the bedroom...

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals