Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#118015 - 07/23/04 09:31 PM Burned Panel on Freeway
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
 Quote:
I spotted this when I pulled off a road to call a friend for directions... This is along the 217 Fwy in Goleta, CA.... I wonder what burned first here... The panel or the brush that was around it!

-Randy

Tools for Electricians:
#118016 - 07/24/04 08:32 AM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
electricman2 Offline

Loc: Thomasville, NC USA
What did this panel supply? Looks like the 2 pole on the right is being used as a back-fed main.

#118017 - 07/25/04 11:12 AM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
stamcon Offline

Loc: So San Francisco CA
Is that a field cut oval hole in the back of the panel that the conductors are running through?

steve

#118018 - 07/25/04 02:51 PM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Electricman2,
The only thing I saw in the area here was the sprinkler control cabinet to the left of this mess in the 1st pic....
Steve,
The oval hole looked like a factory job, But the edges didn't appear to be rounded out, nor was there any sign of a bushing being installed... I'm going to try searching some of the local papers online & see if I can get some info on the fire cause..... That opening & the completely bbq'd phase looks suspect, except for I'd think it qould've eaten out a chunk of the opening while faulting!

-Randy

#118019 - 07/25/04 08:09 PM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
NORCAL Offline

Was that a Myers pedestal? You could always recognise them by that nasty green color they used.

P.S. Are the still in business?Since Cooper has the Scru-tite hub line now I was wondering.

#118020 - 07/26/04 04:54 AM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Myers still is making pedestals by the gazillions. They've got a place right by our shop in Corona, CA
www.myerscustom.com

Ryco (a subsidiary company) is up in Pomona, CA. I've had them actually build me switchgear on the spot while I waited in the parking lot!! A good bunch...S

(PS, except for the sickening gray/green paint )

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-26-2004).]

#118021 - 07/30/04 12:18 AM Re: Burned Panel on Freeway
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Scott,
RSE Sierra in Anahiem does custom switchgear also, & they use Square D parts They've come through for me many times in a pinch! (Not to mention they won't paint it green )

-Randy

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals