ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
got a call to no power to an A/C unit... Beings this was the only 240V load they had, it was all the homeowner missed! (evidentally, the 120V loads on this phase are not used much?) anyways, walked past the panel & caught a whiff of that of so familiar smell.... At first I thought the smell was coming from the porchlight-gone-outlet which had 2 refrigerators plugged in it! [Linked Image]

- Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Your #5 photo, the first of the second three, showing the light fixture mod, is priceless.

Another candidate for the Darwin Awards must be nearby.

Al Hildenbrand
M
Randy: That main breaker isn't factory-installed, is it? It looks like an old "Multi-breaker"-style unit that someone cobbled in there.

Kinda curious as to what happened here. It looks like a main conductor burned in two. It also looks like breakers have been moved around in order to compensate for a buss which has been dead for some time. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)

N
Early type CH panels used that style of main breaker, my guess that panel could be 45 years old.(1958-1959 era homes were the last to use the XO panels at least around here.)

D
hey whats your guys opinions of those CH panels, my mom is looking at buying a house and it has one from the 60's or 70's, it looks in pretty good shape. also when did they use black NM, ive never seen it before until earlier today

Rob

Mike,
The main in here is original CH equiptment.. I've replaced these panels a few times before due to BBQ'd main breakers (Both this style & the style with the long breaker that backfeeds into the bus)
Norcal,
Youre close! 1957....
Rob,
I'm personally not too crazy about these CH panels... I've replaced quite a few, always due to the main breaker, or something closely associated to it (like the lugs) burning up bigtime! One instance the wires between the meter & the main burned a hole in the can! (Customer said the Poco xfmr on the pole in the backyard was putting smoke off during this also!)

There are also people who like these as well.. & there are some good points (Copper bus for one) & I have yet to see one of these newer than 30 years old.. So I can't comment if there's a newer design either...

-Randy

Link Copied to Clipboard