ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 407 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117865 07/13/04 05:37 PM
I
iwire Offline OP
One of the guys I work with being safe. [Linked Image]

It was hot in that room from what he said. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
What'na devil's he working on?? (The moon comes to mind!) That suit should come with a power cord... to plug in the air conditioning! [Linked Image]

Thumbs up for using PPE [Linked Image]

-Randy

Bob, Good Deal!
How much did the rig cost, do you know?

(Does he also tend bees?) [Linked Image]

I
iwire Offline OP
He is about to do a inferred (sp?) survey of some 13.8KV switchgear.

I do not know what the whole set up cost, I will ask.

I have not been trained as he and a few others have been, this may well be overkill for the hazards of this particular job but to much protection is always better than to little.

And yes he sells honey on the weekends. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
B
Hey guys,
That suit is not overkill for that aplication. NFPA 70E stipulates the required arc protection clothing for doing electrical work. It is based on the voltage and the type of work being done.

We have to use them from time to time. They are not fun. Quite warm.

About $800-$1000 comes to mind on the price.

R
Ron Offline
I'm doing some arc flash calculation for a client on a 12kV-480V substations because the NFPA70E table has notes that indicate that the table will not apply to that application.
Unfortunately, the result of the calculations indicate that the face and chest of the personnel operating the infrared scanner must be approximately 10' away from the energized bus with the highest category PPE (level 4). I'm not sure how they will perform the test, maybe with the camera duct taped to a hookstick, but that sounds more dangerous than having the guy stand there and do the test himself.

The main reason for the high incident energy is the lack of instantaneous protection upstream, only 51 relays and CB's with LS characteristics only.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 07-14-2004).]

Ron
M
The first time the ir guys came to our plant we got to go along and watch. One of our guys almost earned a darwin award when tried to point to breaker in a 480 panel that was avery sexy orange. Fortunately someone grabbed his arm.

mvp,
I'm constantly swating peoples hands away from panels! They go to point at something & they think they need to go in & touch things... I've gotten to the point where I carry a small fiberglass "pointer" stick that I'll hand off if they wanna point to something [Linked Image]

-Randy

C
Hi everyone. My first time posting on the board. The picture that started this is my partner. The suit costs our company just under $2000.00. We do not use this level of PPE often. Very hot and difficult to work in.

I also have people wanting to point and touch equipment. What are they thinking?

Al

I
iwire Offline OP
Hey I know this guy!

Welcome Al. [Linked Image]

Al is one of the few in the company that is trained for this work. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard