Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117840 - 07/10/04 07:31 PM Beach Snack Bar Problems
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
Got a call to sporadic power at one of the snack buildings at (on) a local beach... I wasn't too sure where to start at first, but then I thought I'd never stop finding things! The pics speak for themselves... (BTW, this building is owned by the state of CA & leased out!)

-Randy

Tools for Electricians:
#117841 - 07/10/04 07:32 PM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA

#117842 - 07/10/04 08:48 PM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
NORCAL Offline

In pic # 6 does the POCO require the test bypass on non residential metering? Perhaps the services of a demolition contractor are in order for this mess.

P.S. The reason I asked about the test bypass is PG&E does require it and wondered if it was a statewide requirement.

#117843 - 07/11/04 07:04 AM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Norcal...
I'm pretty sure it is a requirement in So Cal Edison, SDG&E & LADWP areas... Judging from the installations I've seen, they all seem to have test bypass links of one sort or another... I always thought they were just standard everywhere...

-Randy

#117844 - 07/11/04 07:25 PM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL
[smartass] I can understand why this would never pass California inspection... Like omigawd, didja see the two colors of the wires together? they like totally clash - no coordination at all![/smartass]

Randy - I repeat my earlier sentiments ... you are truly a "stuff" magnet!

Great pics as always - and a lack of a catastrophe is further evidence that there must be someone up there watching over us!

#117845 - 07/11/04 07:39 PM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
MattE Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Damn! What caused the recept and plug to melt like that? Loose screw terminal?

#117846 - 07/12/04 05:23 AM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
I wonder where the State inspector that I've had on other State jobs was during this construction??
BTW, this is fairly new if it's the building I'm thinking of.

The City of HB doesn't allow GRC or EMT outdoors without additional corrosion protection.
PVC 80 is the preferred method....Check out pic #5 and you'll see why!

But then, these guys answered to a "higher" authority.

Yes, the bypass is required on commercial services. It just didn't get tightened down all the way, out of the ordinary for the normally thorough SCE people.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 07-12-2004).]

#117847 - 07/13/04 05:14 PM Re: Beach Snack Bar Problems
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
Matt E. , loose terminal or a poor connection between the contacts of the outlet & the prongs on the plug... The outlet didn't appear that old, (Leviton's low end spec grade, N5-20) It is connected to stranded wire on the screw terminals... maybe not enough surface contact for the load (commercial freezer)

Scott, the snack bar is in Huntington State Beach lot... (@ Magnolia St)If I remember right, these things cant be more than about 10-15 years old...
I never would've considered EMT out here, all of 200-300' from the ocean itself! Notice in the pic of the crumb ling EMT, it was the EGC also! The switch connected to it is missing its WP cover also. The bypass lug might've been tightened & the corrosion (which doesnt show very well in the pic) may have something to do with it's failure..

-Randy

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals