Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117637 - 06/27/04 06:38 PM Photo taken at Service Calls
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
I took these pictures at various service calls.

The first is the door and side of a very small house built close to an alley. This alley is busy with traffic. The door to the utility room is only 5' tall.

Next is what is in the utility room. The ceiling is only 5'6".AFF

- nesparky (ed)

Quote:
Next two were at another place with a switch used for an A/C disconnect and some duct tape to protect the thermostat wire run in the same conduit as the power.

Quote:
This is an older meter socket with #6 CU wire run down from the POCO wires to the top of the meter and #8 al wire run to the 125 amp panel in the house.

Tools for Electricians:
#117638 - 06/28/04 05:38 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
Trumpy Offline

Loc: SI,New Zealand
Ed,
The roof on the front of that house looks like the craziest thing I've seen for a while!.

#117639 - 06/28/04 06:14 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
Dave55 Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake, Illinois, USA
That whole addition looks like it was designed & built while intoxicated....."Come over & help me on my house, guys...free beer!"

Dave

#117640 - 06/28/04 08:57 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
e57 Offline

Loc: S.F.,CA USA
Beatlejuice! Beatlejuice! Beatlejuice!

#117641 - 06/28/04 09:23 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
nesparky Offline

Loc: omaha,ne
The home owner did not want me to open the panel A 60 Amp main and 3 ea 40 amp 2 pole breakers. That was it. All wire #12. He wanted me to sign it off as safe so he could sell the place. He was very angry when I said no. I could not get a pic inside the panel as he was there at that time. He said he put those breakers in because they don't trip in the middle of a cold nite. There is no A/C washer or dryer, and the stove is gas as is the furnace. The house is only 560 sqft. He didn't want to pay 1 dime to fix anything. I just sent these and a note to the AHJ. House still has not sold as prospective buyer backed out.

#117642 - 06/28/04 11:52 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
nesparky wrote:
 Quote:
He said he put those breakers in because they don't trip in the middle of a cold nite.

40A ocpd on #12s???
So what you're saying is that he's using his home wiring for radiant heat?? Does he have an outbuilding to store marshmallows to roast when the house catches fire??? I can't believe someone could be so brainless as to think an electrician would just let that "slide" Lucky thing the buyers had someone of Ed's calibre doing the inspection!

-Randy

#117643 - 06/29/04 03:01 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL
 Quote:
Originally posted by Lostazhell:
So what you're saying is that he's using his home wiring for radiant heat??

ROFLMAO, Randy! I gotta remember that one!

#117644 - 06/29/04 03:05 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
:andy: Offline

Loc: Germany
 Quote:
40 amp 2 pole breakers. That was it. All wire #12. He wanted me to sign it off as safe so he could sell the place. He was very angry when I said no. I could not get a pic inside the panel as he was there at that time. He said he put those breakers in because they don't trip in the middle of a cold nite.

thats one of the hardest DIY bodge i've ever heard or seen. HELL

#117645 - 06/29/04 08:02 PM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA
 Quote:
This shows the small house utility room more clearly.

- nesparky
 Quote:
Also here are a couple more of an receptacle that had the wiring soldered together

#117646 - 06/30/04 02:42 AM Re: Photo taken at Service Calls
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England

That detail pic of the utility room seems to show the caliber of workmanship too: Water heater partially blocking access to the panel, and what about those conduits emerging from the left of the panel and then turning downward? Looks as though they're right across a gangway!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals