ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#117522 06/22/04 09:35 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
I am a Licensed Journeyman Electrician living in Colorado. I live in a condo and our association hosted a walk through last week to discuss items needing repair. I pointed out the following and our manager dismissed them either as not being a priority or too expensive to repair.

This particular photo shows a lighting repair made in a carport. It would appear the grounds were removed from the romex cables, and the junction box left open.
[Linked Image]
This photo illustrates schedule 40 PVC used to energize light poles. It would appear the PVC is at a burial depth of only 4 inches.
[Linked Image]
This photo illustrates the improper use of non-metallic cable, a similar method used throughout the complex, more photos to follow.
[Linked Image]
This picture shows a disconnect for an air conditioning condenser no longer supported. It is held in place only by the conduit attached.
[Linked Image]
This photo shows another problem with the air conditioning condensers...adequate protection to ensure cars aren't running into them has not been provided in my opinion.
[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The attached series of photos show how we treat transformers. This transformer has been struck several times and is moving from the pad closer to the building each time.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The attached two pictures illustrate the technique used to install a light sensor. Notice open threaded hole on junction box, lock ring still in place on sensors, conductors pinched by cover, and there are two screws missing.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These 2 photos show a technique used to provide landscape lighting.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Thanx for posting the pictures. Hope there's a good insurance policy to pay off the parents of the kid that tries to catch the bug that crawled into the lite socket or the car and driver that start on fire when their car hits the pad-mount and the primary arcs. The power company might set some barriers in front of their equip for free. The inspector hopefully can force some action while explaining the dangers. The whole thing seems like an accident waiting to happen. Hope it isn't somebody you care about.

My favorite is pic #1. Maybe the ground wires "needed" to be removed to mitigate nuisance tripping of the circuit breakers!

Like in Texas, where "He needed killing" is valid justification.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
T
Anyone else suffered through a similar problem before? The manager became defensive after about the 2nd item I pointed out, I guess I will address the homeowner's board from now on. They were asking me to prepare a report, I doubt they will pay me for a prepared report so I was going to direct them to this website in a couple of weeks.

P
Looks as though there were many, many shortcuts taken during the building and later "maintenance" of this place.

The wires fed through the box lid in pic #10 are incredible!

Good Grief! Is this what all the HOA fee's are paying for?? [Linked Image] Hard to imagine the Poco there not thinking bollards should be in front of the pad mount transformer... I wonder if this parking lot was expanded/altered to add parking & they might've been removed by a paving contractor... The open light socket is certainly temptation to curious fingers...

Anyone who has allowed all this to exist in the first place will usually not care to fix it until there's a sheriff at the door serving them for someone getting hurt! [Linked Image]

BTW.. Great pics Topher! Keep 'em coming & welcome to ECN! [Linked Image]

-Randy

B
...Our manager dismissed them either as not being a priority or too expensive to repair.
So the integrity of the building and the safety of it's occupants isn't a priority? Swell guy. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

-John

W
I'm amazed the POCO would allow transformers to be there without bollards. Never happen around here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard