ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#117363 - 06/06/04 04:46 PM Edison base fitting
Webmaster Offline

Loc: NY, USA
Not sure if this will wind up in Electrical Nostalgia or just Pics Submitted for discussion - I leave it to your discretion!

Found this one while I was doing some pre-sale "code compliance" work around a former police officer's house. You know, GFCI and smoke detector installation type stuff. Seems the guy he bought the house from 20+ years ago was obtaining things from somewhere when he built the house in the 50's. The whole garage was done in a hybrid of RMC and EMT, with mega-godzilla quality fittings. It's got a real "piece from here, piece from there" feel - very few parts of this garage's conduitry seemed "made-to-order".

The best I can figure, this is a Crouse - Hinds Explosion Proof (or really raintight) Edison base fitting. Not sure if it's for a fuse, or if it's a power tap of sorts. Yes, it is gasketed, and yes, I did manage to liberate it for the collection!

Picture 1 is with the cover closed, and pic 2 is with it open.

Sorry for the low-res... it's a camera phone.

Have a good weekend,

Doug W

Tools for Electricians:
#117364 - 06/07/04 08:47 AM Re: Edison base fitting
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
I can honestly say, I never knew anything like this existed! A hazloc edison base socket! What'll they come up with next?

Good fing there Doug!

#117365 - 06/07/04 12:43 PM Re: Edison base fitting
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
Losta — It is possible the pictured device was intended for early “ship-to-shore” marine applications, but the thought of a fabric-covered, unsheathed [NEC type PD] 2-wire {groundless} twisted-pair cord across a dock would be close to foreordained death.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-07-2004).]

#117366 - 06/08/04 04:28 AM Re: Edison base fitting
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Boy, Bjarney,
That patina sure does look like it's seen some ocean duty.
Perhaps a fuse on a boat/ship??

#117367 - 06/08/04 10:20 AM Re: Edison base fitting
Lostazhell Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, CA (Originally Or...
That put one heck of a scary picture in my mind! A turn of the century boat power inlet!.. I dunno if Crouse-Hinds was around back then.. I'm curious if this was originally meant for sea or possibly an old refinery or even one of the "island" oil pumping rigs out off the coast of a few places... here included!

#117368 - 06/08/04 08:26 PM Re: Edison base fitting
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL
I'll see if I can find a P/N on it somewhere... I knew it was weird when I spotted it.

Like I originally posted... this guy (the original owner/builder) had some weird stuff! The only thing I could think of was "cast offs" from his workplace...

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals