The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#115309 - 10/08/03 10:17 AM Where's the Pole?
Webmaster Offline

Loc: NY, USA

This one runs at 480 volts, all night, every night!

Tools for Electricians:
#115310 - 10/08/03 05:28 PM Re: Where's the Pole?
George Corron Offline

Loc: Lorton, Va USA
tough neighborhood, someone stole the pole and left the base.

#115311 - 10/15/03 10:10 AM Re: Where's the Pole?
mbhydro Offline

Loc: Winnipeg MB Canada
This is normal in the area served by our electrical utility when a street light is knocked over in an auto accident.

Just tape the conductors together and come back some time later and put a replacement pole in.

Last week there were two blocks in my part of the city that looked like this for a few days while the 30yr old poles were taken down and replaced with new ones.

If its a major street they "may" put a 4 foot pole stub over it for looks while they wait to replace it.

#115312 - 10/18/03 10:28 AM Re: Where's the Pole?
Tir Offline

Loc: Garland, Tx.-US
It goes without saying that the system in this picture should remain de-energized until the proper repairs can be made...but for those situations where this might not be possible a simple non-metalic I.E. "Carlon-PVC" box (part of bottom removed easily) and fastened to the concrete base by "band-straps" and 10 minutes of time could be what stands between life and death. Please tell me that whats shown in the picture would NEVER be left energized or in a postion to become energized without at least some sort of protection in place!.

#115313 - 10/22/03 05:13 AM Re: Where's the Pole?
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Tir, welcome to ECN!
As far as I know, this has been this way for a couple of years. I've tried to contact the owner to no avail. I guess the next stop is the AHJ.
The "underground box aboveground" idea is OK for a temporary fix.
I wouldn't want it to end up like this. though:

These cover the transformer's 12KV primaries. They're exposed to traffic, in a driveway.(What is this, a lineman's version of an extension box?)...S

#115314 - 10/22/03 07:47 AM Re: Where's the Pole?
SvenNYC Offline

Loc: New York City
I'm sorry, but I gotta say this.....

They look like LAUNDRY TUBS!!!!

#115315 - 10/22/03 05:06 PM Re: Where's the Pole?
ThinkGood Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I've tried to contact the owner to no avail. I guess the next stop is the AHJ.

Find somebody who ordered too much concrete and have the extra dumped to make the boxes "underground."

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals