ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#114428 03/09/03 07:34 PM
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Does anyone else come across situations like the following? It seems that I can't drive down the street without seeing Meterpans and SE Cables dangling off the side of a House while it gets sided or remodeled.

Is this common in your area? Has anyone heard of any Fires or Injuries that were caused by something like this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bill

Another Example:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anybody else see stuff like this?

Bill

Bill
G
Sadly,I think this is a problem all over Bill. And the sparky is the bad guy because he has to fix this mess."The siding guy said it shouldn't cost near that much". Russell

N
Just tell the home owner to deduct your fee for fixing this willful damage from the siders bill.
If the local AHJ's would find a way to cite the fly by nite siders who do this type of work maybe this would be stopped. Of course it would take fines and jail time to get the message across. Do the local laws give that tool to the AHJ's?

ed
G
I would say this would come under"unlicensed electrical work" and they could be cited for that.

I don't know the situation for the first set of photos, but in the second set the condition was the result of a second floor addition going up.

This is really the extreme of what I see and not just a result of siding being done. Does anyone remove the service to a pole as a regular course of action during major remodels, or is it generally left hanging somehow? I've only been asked once to move a service to a pole and that's because the whole house was being torn down.

It seems like the Contractors generally feel comfortable with leaving a service in this condition until they're finished with what they are doing and ready to call an Electrician in. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Horror stories that resulted from something like this.

Bill

Bill
T
Ouch, that's a bad one!
BTW, shouldn't the chimney extend beyond the roof?

T_R,

Yes, the chimney did extend above the roof at one time. This was a one floor House originally and they added a second floor. The chimney was extended later on.

Bill

Bill
P
pitiful!
i would not leave that site until the poco disconnected those services.accidents waiting to happen.

Bill:
In the humble opinion of an AHJ and Contractor..
FRom the AHJ standpoint:
Photo 1,2,3& 4 all create an "unsafe" condition, I could issue a violation sticker at site, proceed to the office and write a "written violation notice" indicating a $500.00 per day fine, and a notice of shut-off, unless repairs are promptly initiated with a permit. 99% of the time, the repairs are made very promptly.

From the contractor side:
In this area, the people creating these situations are siders, or carpenters/builders. Unfortunatly, they are not licensed in NJ,but some towns require them to "register". The "bad" ones give the whole trade a bad name. I guess it generates some work for the EC's, but it sure creates a dangerous condition.
John

John
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard