Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#113885 - 11/04/02 10:29 PM Deadly Receptacle
Webmaster Offline

Administrator

Loc: NY, USA

Quote:
Here are a couple of photos of a "Receptacle" that I found in a local restaurant. When I first saw it, I told my helper that it must be just for looks because the restaurant has a rustic decor. He put his volt pen by the wires, and, as you can see in the first photo, it is live. How many violations can you find?

WireWrestler

Tools for Electricians:
#113886 - 11/05/02 08:45 AM Re: Deadly Receptacle
n1ist Offline

Loc: Malden MA
Let's see - no cover plate, missing mounting screw, wrong box improperly mounted, no cable clamp, missing ground wire, orange wire for single-phase 110 hot (or is that brown - if so,it's OK), unsecured wires, unprotected wires. At least the wires aren't backstabbed and the neutral is on the correct terminal...

And I'm not even an electician :-)

#113887 - 11/05/02 09:03 AM Re: Deadly Receptacle
sparky66wv Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I may be mistaken, but orange may be used...

It must be used on a three phase high leg, but it is NOT limited to that use.

The only colors limited for their use is green, green with yellow stripe, white and grey.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

(FYI: Brown-Orange-Yellow is commonly used on 480V with no high leg)

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-05-2002).]
Member IAEI

#113888 - 11/05/02 11:37 AM Re: Deadly Receptacle
Texas_Ranger Offline

Loc: Vienna, Austria
They took the rustic thing a little too serious, eh?
That's why I prefer NM boxes...

#113889 - 11/05/02 12:14 PM Re: Deadly Receptacle
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
1.) Stranded conductors imply the need to neatly fasten them to the post--not so much with solid wiring.

2.) This is probably someone's interpretation of an "isolated ground" receptacle. Where is the cash register, anyway?

#113890 - 11/05/02 01:08 PM Re: Deadly Receptacle
mamills Offline

Loc: Wharton, Texas, USA
WW:
Was there some kind of construction work under way when you visited this restaurant? Occasionally this sort of thing is seen during renovation work...not that it should be excused. No matter how you slice it, this is obviously very dangerous (and ugly, too). It also looks to be in a VERY public area.

Mike (mamills)

#113891 - 11/05/02 03:04 PM Re: Deadly Receptacle
pauluk Offline

Loc: Norfolk, England

Possibly my monitor settings, but it looks as though that hot wire may actually be red to me.

#113892 - 11/05/02 04:22 PM Re: Deadly Receptacle
JuddsAirco Offline

Loc: KY, USA
Where do the wires terminate to?

#113893 - 11/05/02 06:03 PM Re: Deadly Receptacle
WireWrestler Offline

Loc: Northern IL
There was no construction taking place at the time we took the photo. In fact, it has been this way for months (years?) The hot wire is orange, I don't see a problem with that. It is hard to see in the photo, but if you look close you can see the menu over the counter in the background of the second photo. The column that the receptacle is mounted on is by the condiment counter on one side, and booths on the side the photos were taken from. It could be reached by anyone. My helper who is holding the volt pen is standing at the condiment counter, where the straws, napkins, ketchup etc. are.
All of this in a city where there are inspections, etc. The restaurant is in the "trendy" part of town, not in some out of the way place. Unbelieveable, isn't it?

#113894 - 11/06/02 10:03 AM Re: Deadly Receptacle
mamills Offline

Loc: Wharton, Texas, USA
...Kind of an ominous thought...a restaurant where the customers can do their own frying .

Sorry, I really don't mean to make light of what is really an incredible life safety hazard. Hasn't anyone else noticed this, or brought this to the attention of the powers-that-be?

Mike (mamills)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals