The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#112248 - 05/12/01 09:14 PM A Shock Hazard?
Webmaster Offline

Administrator
Member

Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 3142
Loc: NY, USA
Submitted by David A. Penasa, PE
Click on Picture for a closer look

 Quote:
I was shocked after touching this in-line fuseholder (see the tiny bit of metal extending out of the end?) while inspecting the installation. I was high up on a ladder with the upper part of my body above the lay-in ceiling!

I don't know if it is a poor product design, bad installation or both. I had the electrician go back and tape all 25+/- of the installations.

David A. Penasa, PE

Top
Tools for Electricians:
#112249 - 05/13/01 03:54 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
sparky Offline
Member

Registered: 10/18/00
Posts: 5545
oh sure, light up the inspector !


Top
#112250 - 05/13/01 05:40 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
electure Offline

Member

Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 4226
Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
Is this wiring that was done by the electrician in the field? The inline fuseholders I've used have had pigtails on them, which I don't see here. I'd be willing to bet that the label on the cover says to disconnect the unit from the power supply before opening the unit. A guy would have an excellent chance of a shock if he tried to change that fuse without shutting off the supply to it anyway. Even inspectors should read the warning labels.

Top
#112251 - 05/13/01 06:37 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
sparky Offline
Member

Registered: 10/18/00
Posts: 5545
Point well put Electure,
it does have the universal pix of the guy touching the bolt of lightning entering extremity and exiting posterior

hmmm;
maybe there's a disco nearby?

Top
#112252 - 05/13/01 08:09 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
Tom Offline
Member

Registered: 01/01/01
Posts: 1069
Loc: Shinnston, WV USA
If this piece of equipment is listed, the listing agency should be made aware of the shock hazard.

I suspect, as Electure pointed out, that this equipment was modified in the field.

Tom
_________________________
Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Top
#112253 - 05/13/01 11:21 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
electure Offline

Member

Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 4226
Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
This box looks like it was meant to have transformers, contactors, and the like installed, which more often than not have exposed terminals. (Shut off the power) Although the fuseholder shouldn't have exposed metal, taping the end might cause the spring pressure to be wrong, and cause it to burn up (especially after a fuse change). If the original fuseholder installation doesn't void the warranty, the tape most certainly will.

Top
#112254 - 05/13/01 11:54 AM Re: A Shock Hazard?
Bill Addiss Offline
Member

Registered: 10/07/00
Posts: 4196
Loc: NY, USA
It looks like the Fuseholder was crimped on with a butt-splice type connector. Where is the exposed metal? Is that fuseholder taped up? I can't seem to see what we're talking about here.

Bill

Top
#112255 - 05/13/01 02:17 PM Re: A Shock Hazard?
electure Offline

Member

Registered: 12/24/00
Posts: 4226
Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
If this "control box" was meant to be examined while energized, the requirement for workspace would be in effect. Layin 2x4 grid can't give you this space, as it's only 24" wide. In any event, the reason for the shock was the inspector's failure to follow proper safety procedures, ignoring the warning label even though "HAZARDOUS VOLTAGE" is written on it and there's a pic of a guy with lightning bolt through him.

Top
#112256 - 05/14/01 06:43 PM Re: A Shock Hazard?
dpenasa Offline
Junior Member

Registered: 05/14/01
Posts: 1
Loc: Albuquerque, NM, USA
I didn't get shocked by sticking my hand into some obviously energized area. Come on guys, give me a break!

Apparently I wasn't totally clear in what happened in my message sent with my photo. The shock was received from a very tiny sliver of metal exposed at the end of the black "tube" at the point where the red conductor comes out of it. This has to be either a manufacturing defect or terrible product quality. I don't know if the fuseholders on the other similar fan coil units (24+/-) in this project all had this same problem. (I'd had enough for the day after the shock! I didn't check any others.)

Unfortunately the small size of the posted photo makes the tiny bit of exposed metal difficult (impossible?) to see.

Email me if you want me to email you the original high quality photo that I took.

David A. Penasa, PE

Top
#112257 - 05/14/01 09:47 PM Re: A Shock Hazard?
Anonymous
Unregistered


I know what you are talking about. If the little sliver was supposed to be okay then the entire wire would be okay if it were bare.

Is the sliver a strand of wire that missed a crimp connector?

Since with vibration of position it could touch the metal enclosure, it is distinctly unintentional.

Obviously there is something serviceable in there. Perhaps the fuse was installed locally?

NOTICE
Control box cover must be reinstalled after servicing to insure proper...?

Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >



ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals