Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#110951 - 08/09/06 02:02 PM Unsupported flex
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
These pics were taken after the tenant left this industrial rental, and things were being made ready for the new tenant.

In the first pic, please note the flex in the middle of the pic.

The next pic gives another view of the flex, from below.

This place had a 'mystery switch' in the middle of a wall; the flex went from the switch, across the room, to a 30A 240V receptacle high on the wall. I have no idea what it was for. There was no ground wire, either.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#110952 - 08/09/06 02:46 PM Re: Unsupported flex
Dnkldorf Offline

Loc: nowhere usa
John, that actually looks pretty clean compared to what I see.

Now they tell me hospitals are the worst, you never want to pop out a cieling tile there.

Any one care to confirm this?

#110953 - 08/09/06 02:56 PM Re: Unsupported flex
iwire Offline

Loc: North Attleboro, MA USA
It's not so much that you don't want to open tiles, it is more about not being able to open tiles.

First find a tile that does not have a device of some type attached to it or through it.

Than hope the tile will lift because along with an abundance of electrical systems will be a lot of duct work and pipes in the way.
Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician

#110954 - 08/09/06 03:10 PM Re: Unsupported flex
Luketrician Offline

Loc: Sale Creek, TN USA
I can confirm Dnkldorf! I remeber like it was yesterday. The plan was to run some 3/4 conduit for an additional bc, there was NO room for any kind of raceway. It made for a long job, job security! You said it iwire! can even lift the tiles up!
Luke Clarke
Electrical Planner for TVA.

#110955 - 08/10/06 03:45 PM Re: Unsupported flex
HotLine1 Offline

Loc: Brick, NJ USA
I have to go with DNK; that's not bad. The hospital in the Twp I work in is basically 'clean' above the ceilings, it's in a constant state of renovation!

As to the office bldgs, and comm, NOW, that's were the real MESS shows it's face. As I say....the sins of the past.

'Stuff' on the ceiling is one of my pet peeves.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals