ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#109617 - 11/10/05 03:51 AM How not to Plugmold
electure Offline

Loc: Fullerton, CA USA
I don't know where they had (or if they had) the hot conductor connected to this thing.
When I touched this plug strip and a piece of grounded equipment at the same time, I got a jolt.
Maybe the hot was just dead ended and touching the case of the pmold.??

The 2 gang cover was not screwed to the junction box behind it, but to the tall backsplash.

The only good thing about it? I was at this veterinary office to remove it from above the countertop.....Scott

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#109618 - 11/11/05 09:43 PM Re: How not to Plugmold
DougW Offline

Loc: North Chicago, IL

Glad you weren't on a wet floor, man!

#109619 - 11/12/05 11:59 PM Re: How not to Plugmold
kiwi Offline

Loc: christchurch new zealand

#109620 - 11/13/05 07:27 AM Re: How not to Plugmold
renosteinke Offline
Cat Servant

Loc: Blue Collar Country
And, for good measure, it looks as if they had also disconnected / cut the green wire as well!

Plugmold typically comes with wires at each end; it is possible that they failed to cap off them.

Another possibility- one suggested by the scratching inside the plugmold- is that they simply couldn't get it closed with the wire-nuts that they had.
Our friends at Wiremold actually have their own connectors, which fit inside the case, and do not require you to "fold back" one of the wires. Their instructions are more than a little confusing, but they are better than wire-nuts for this job.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals