Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Recent Posts
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Today at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
On Delay Relay with Auto Reset
by Potseal
12/01/16 09:59 AM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 13
HotLine1 10
sparkyinak 9
Texas_Ranger 8
Potseal 6
Who's Online
2 registered (sparkyinak, LongRunner), 90 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#10809 - 06/18/02 07:29 PM I'm done with doing favors
Electric Eagle Offline

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I tried to do a guy a favor and it comes back to bite me in the ass. A fairly new contractor asked me to wire a small project, but when the estimate was given he didn't have anywhere near the budget($600). He convinced me that he was capable of wiring, but needed a permit. I told him as long as he did exactly what I told him and let me inspect the work, I would pull the permit after I looked at it. He did as I told him and made a few minor corrections. Then the day I was to get the permit he calls and needs to add a 30 amp 220 outlet for HVAC. I told him I would have to do the work, it needed to be wired to the meter base disconnect and needed conduit. He couldn't wait, but after he couldn't find anyone else, I told him I would come on Saturday and I wanted ca$h. He agreed and on the friday I pull a permit for the work he did plus the 220 outlet.

On Saturday I received a call saying don't bother coming the homeowner got tired of waiting(1 day) and had someone else do it. Well, now I have a permit that includes work I didn't do or supervise. So I went to the house to look at the work that was done and it did not meet my standards. It was a little sloppy, but the biggest problem I had was that he double tapped the lugs on the 150 amp disconnect and put another disconnect on the wall. First I doubt the lugs are rated for more than one conductor, but second he mixed CU with AL.

So first thing monday morning I went to the AHJ office and had them make a note that I had nothing to do with that item and please take it off my permit. They did and told the inspector that there might be a problem. I talked to the contractor after the inspector came and found out that he didn't even look at the electrical work other than to note that the outlets were properly spaced. I as much as told them to look closely and they didn't look at all.

Anyway, I've made 5 trips to the job site, 2 trips to the AHJ office and $43.50 for the permit, spent almost an hour on my cell phone, and gave the guy 2- 3" pop-in boxes. All this for $150 (I was suposed to have 2 trips to the job site plus the permit fee and nothing else). It just goes to show you no good deed goes unpunished.

Work Gear for Electricians and the Trades

Arc Flash Clothing, Gloves, KneePads, Tool Belts, Pouches, Tool Carriers, etc. etc....

#10810 - 06/18/02 08:08 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors
wolfdog Offline

Loc: Dallas,TX
I feel your pain. I get frequent requests to pull permits and always refuse ....except for a journeyman that needed to rebuild his service after a lightning strike. He did a good job but it was not worth the hassle.
Among other things, I called for an inspection and they were not home. That'll get you a red tag every time.

#10811 - 06/18/02 08:55 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
"Tell your friends." Sometimes that's all you can do is warn others {not to make the same mistake.)

#10812 - 06/19/02 01:42 AM Re: I'm done with doing favors
sparky Offline

EE,
sounds like the AHJ could have backed you up a tad more than S/He did.

#10813 - 06/19/02 02:58 PM Re: I'm done with doing favors
Electricmanscott Offline

Loc: Holden, MA USA
Always remember "No good deed goes unpunished"

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals