ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
The attached photos show telephone cable installed in such a way as to make me forget what I was doing and overlook for a time the supports missing on cables. If anyone recognizes the location, please do not state where it is. I asked permission to post these pictures as long as I did not say where they were taken.

1- The flexible conduits (and cables) need supports within 12" of the cabinets and at 3' intervals thereafter across the deck. NEC 350.30, 356.30

2- The flexible cable connection to the receptacle box is damaged and requires support as above. NEC 350.24

3- I should have checked the telephone cabling inside the hose, it must be listed for a wet location. The raceway (garden hose) is not listed for its use. NEC 800.4, 110.3(B), 800.6

4- The receptacles were GFCI protected by a breaker, but the cover was needing to be weatherproof while-in-use. NEC 406.8 (B)(1)

Shane
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

No, no way... definately no way... Please tell me when the NEC said "Garden hose is a permitted raceway?" (Question not comment.) At least you can do what I know somebody said in another post, "Saving materials by combining water and electrical service." I'd like to see that hose connected to a faucet...

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
S
BUMP!

From time to time I look at some of these old threads to further familiarize myself with code articles and violations. This one I thought was pretty comical. Does the flex coming from out of the enclosure to the weatherproof box violate bending radius requirements?

N
The top garden hose certainly looks like it does...

Z
I think ShockMe77 and I are seeing the same thing. Isn't that a couple of garden hoses (bottom left and top)?

Is this a bad use of garden hoses for data/com or a bad use of a single-ganged outdoor box for a water junction? Either way, I don't like it!

E
I see shoddy workmanship at marinas all the time. PVC sagging or pulling apart is probably the most common. White PVC couplings and elbows with gray PVC for electrical work is probably next. They get pretty creative with garden hoses too, but that's probably one of the better botch jobs that I have seen.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
That would never fly here! The connector isn't listed for a garden hose! [Linked Image]

That would never fly here! The connector isn't listed for a garden hose! [Linked Image]

That's the least of their problems...

Ian (Calling ****** Construction to demo a singlewide!) A.

Is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?
I
I have to ask. [Linked Image]

What NEC code violation code be cited?

Lets leave 'Neat and Workmanlike' out of it.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
R
I can't believe I'm about to argue in favor of parts of this.....

If the phone cable inside the garden hose is rated for direct exposure to sunlight, saltwater, fishhooks, etc. does inserting it into garden hose violate anything?

If done neatly what violations exist.

And please list code sections.

RSlater,
RSmike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard