The Electrical Contractor Network

ECN Electrical Forum
Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Books, Tools and Test Equipment for Electrical and Construction Trades

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104229 - 01/16/03 05:06 PM Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA

A hotel worker painted over this broken receptacle located on the side of a hotel building!

The electrician showed the worker that the exposed contacts were alive!

Not much to be said here, except that 118 volts could be the cause of the death of the painter, or even the kid there in the walkway!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-27-2003).]

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#104230 - 01/16/03 05:35 PM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Roger Offline

Loc: N.C.
Joe, not being sarcastic at all, but OSHA will visit our job sites and fine us, yet something like this can go untended untill some one or some child gets hurt, sad priorities.

How was it that this was found? Was the painter shocked?

Roger

#104231 - 01/16/03 05:43 PM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
New Eez-e-Reech™®٤© test points—I like it.

#104232 - 01/16/03 06:23 PM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Joe Tedesco Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts USA
Roger:

I found this outside of a seminar room in Miami at a Holiday Inn. No, the painter didn't get shocked. I am not sure OSHA would visit a Hotel?

#104233 - 01/16/03 09:07 PM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
On water-based paints these days, are they more conductive than earlier oil-based varieties?

Once got a call from a pizza parlor where a wall of foil-faced wallpaper was biting customers. A receptacle terminal under a wallplate had energized the foil.

#104234 - 01/16/03 10:37 PM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
ThinkGood Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Here's another fine paint job

#104235 - 01/17/03 03:10 AM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Format_C: Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
hey thinkgood awhile ago when I moved into a house (New Paint) almost all off recepts. were like that. I hate that

#104236 - 01/17/03 07:28 AM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
mamills Offline

Loc: Wharton, Texas, USA
I don't see how anyone would get a good night's sleep in a hotel with a maintenance program as poor as this.

(DANGER...engaging rant mode...)
It really irritates me that people feel that wall receptacles and light switches HAVE to be painted the same color as the wall. I can understand painting the cover plate, as long as time is taken to remove it, paint it, and then re-install it. I have seen many receptacles covered over by so many layers of paint that no holes appear at all any more. The only evidence of a receptacle being there at all is a bumpy outline in the paint. A wall receptacle or a light switch is what it is. Why try to make it disappear?

Mike (mamills)

#104237 - 01/17/03 07:45 AM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
Pearlfish Offline

Loc: Chicago Ridge, Il, USA
Looking at the inside of the box, it was probably sprayed.

#104238 - 01/17/03 08:34 AM Re: Beware! It's Alive! Painter Beware!
SvenNYC Offline

Loc: New York City

Isn't it kind of dangerous holding you meter while using one hand to insert the test pins into the circuit like that?

The red probe could slip and the metal could touch your finger, couldn't it?

I always put the meter on a surface and use two separate hands to hold each probe (stick neutral in first and then the hot).

Joe: Was this an outside receptacle or in a courtyard? It sure looks like it was a picture taken outside.

Thinkgood: That looks like the old receptacles in my apartment. Although mine were two-hole instead of three-hole.

After a while, enough paint leaks into the holes and covers up the contacts, rendering the device unusable, even if the holes are still open.

Sometimes the devices are so old and the contacts have lost their spring-action that the only things holding the plug into the socket are the layers upon layers of paint!!

On another note, what do you guys think about the practice of removing box covers and covering the device with masking-tape prior to painting?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-17-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals