Now Available!

Recent Posts
Correct rotation, wrong sequence
by Potseal
Today at 03:14 PM
Industrail Control Panel bonding per 409.108
by sparkyinak
Yesterday at 06:29 PM
Calling all Non-US members!! (Non-US only)
by aussie240
12/07/16 02:39 AM
Photo Upload Tutorial
by DanK
12/06/16 11:35 PM
Sprinklered equipment 26-008
by bigpapa
12/02/16 04:24 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 11
HotLine1 10
Potseal 9
sparkyinak 8
Texas_Ranger 7
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102557 - 06/01/06 10:49 AM Service disconects for outbuildings
Jonno Offline

I was working on a cottage recently, adding a few new circuits for a sump pump and washing machine and cleaning up some one else’s creative wiring.

The cottage has a detached shed, fed by a 3 conductor TEK, the original installer fed the TEK off of the living room lighting circuit, one of the conductors was a supply for the inside lights and plug, another was used as a switch leg so that the outside light on the shed was controlled by a switch in the living room. There is of course a neutral and EGC.

I moved the shed onto its own breaker. I was wondering on what everyone’s thoughts on how I could cover the service disconnect for this shed.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#102558 - 06/01/06 10:07 PM Re: Service disconects for outbuildings
jay8 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
not sure what you mean by "cover the service disconnect for this shed"

#102559 - 06/02/06 08:08 AM Re: Service disconects for outbuildings
Jonno Offline

Sorry, my poor choice of wording.

I am asking for insight on how you would provide a service disconect for this shed.

#102560 - 06/04/06 10:11 PM Re: Service disconects for outbuildings
jay8 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
You would not really have a service disconnect to an outbuilding,since what you are describing is a branch circuit off your main panel. What you may require, depending on how much power you are bringing to the outbuilding, could be some kind of sub-panel. Be sure to read CEC 10-208. You are allowed two 15 amp circuits to the outbuilding without a subpanel-but I cant find that rule, be sure to talk to your local AHJ to check local rules also.

#102561 - 06/16/06 09:05 AM Re: Service disconects for outbuildings
mikesh Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC, Canada
I would look at this in two ways. If it is a home there would be no requirement for a disconnect at the shed and I might prefer to see a sub panel I cannot think of any reason that a person would be required to run a sub panel and feed the circuits from their.
Even a commercial application if the shed is not a seperate tennant then it could still be fed either via a sub panel or separate circuits. Now if the shed was functionally seperate IE a different tennant then a panel with a local disconnect would be in order.
In BC each occupancy must have a local disconnect within the occupancy.

#102562 - 06/21/06 06:44 PM Re: Service disconects for outbuildings
Cosimo Offline

In Ontario this rule applies:
14-418 Disconnecting Means

(1) A single disconnecting means shall be provided either integral with or adjacent to the distribution equipment:

(a) Within each unit of a multi-unit building, other than a dwelling unit;

(b) Within each area common to more than one building, such as an underground parking area; or

(c) Within each building when fed from another building.

(2) Subrule (1) does not apply to circuits from part of fire alarm, fire protection and emergency systems.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals