This is borderline DIY, but I want an answer from professionals, please.
Okay, so the MIC of our school's band program just made a power snake. Used 12 duplex boxes, one every 3 or so feet. 12Gu S type cable. On first inspection it looks alright. But, I have some issues with it's safety.
1) 20 amp plug, is that allowed when using 15 amp appliances (I'm sure it is)(this is unrelated to the snake)
2) regular cable clamps, are they not required to be baskets
3) Maretts in the boxes, I think that's unsafe in a mobile situation, way too easy to come undone and touch the next problem
4) doesn't the box need it's own path to ground that isn't through the outlet?
5) between the marettes he used peices of 14gu wire so he can use stab ins
6)Plastic face plates, not much of a problem, just snap way too easy
7) Is 12 outlets plus a plug on the end to plug one more thing under the maximum number?
8) I didn't look in all the outlets, but through one of the holes, I thought I saw neutral tied to ground.
9) one outlet or more may have hot and neutral reversed, again didn't have time to check everything.
And one more unrelated one, tinning ends to put them into plugs for making extension cords. Yay or Neigh?
I think that's everything, but i'd like to get an answer ASAP, so I can show it to him by the end of the day today. It is making me quite angry because i've told him it's not up to code, and possibly dangerous, but he just waves it off. I'll even offer to fix it for him, but we'll see. I get the feeling that he thinks that the electrical code is a joke. I don't mind that, if he does it at home, but when there are over 1000 people in the room who could touch this thing, I don't want anything happening. He also told his son that this is the correct way of wireing, which I wouldn't have a problem if he were doing a house, but mobile is different.
Now, if this isn't up to code, and he uses it, to avoid liability on me, do I call the Fire Marshal, or who?
I will be printing this, and showing him, so keep it nice.
Proud Inventor of the Three Phase Light Bulb!