ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102472 - 03/19/06 03:36 PM Apprentices
Check Pilot Offline
Loc: Edmonton Alberta Canada
I am getting some discussion from both the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology and also a young fellow that wants to become an apprentice doing electrical work. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to work on my own and am concerned about having someone else helping out on the job site.

The concerns about workmanship are my issues because of the background I have from the "old school" way of doing things. I still tend to operate that way and I have noticed that "workmanship" no longer seems to be one of the front row important things to do when installing electrical stuff any more.

How do you oldtimers handle this kind of stuff? I'm pondering about this enthusiastic young fellow and just how to handle the whole thing.

Ideas are welcome.
Tools for Electricians:
#102473 - 03/19/06 06:04 PM Re: Apprentices
jay8 Offline
Loc: Vancouver, BC
The best way to ensure quality work is to pass your knowledge and guidelines onto the next generation. If the old timers who do good work arent willing to pass it on, who else will? Having new blood in the trade is, like death and taxes, inevitable. Best to make sure they know how to do things like a tradesman, and not just throw it together.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 51
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 17
Trumpy 16
Ruben Rocha 13

Newest Members
clee512, Jdscott2005, FAIZAN, Regitest2, sureshazhagai

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals