by Tjia1981
10/23/16 12:08 PM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm˛ flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 14
HotLine1 7
ghost307 7
renosteinke 6
Potseal 4
Who's Online
0 registered (), 267 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102472 - 03/19/06 03:36 PM Apprentices
Check Pilot Offline

Loc: Edmonton Alberta Canada
I am getting some discussion from both the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology and also a young fellow that wants to become an apprentice doing electrical work. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to work on my own and am concerned about having someone else helping out on the job site.

The concerns about workmanship are my issues because of the background I have from the "old school" way of doing things. I still tend to operate that way and I have noticed that "workmanship" no longer seems to be one of the front row important things to do when installing electrical stuff any more.

How do you oldtimers handle this kind of stuff? I'm pondering about this enthusiastic young fellow and just how to handle the whole thing.

Ideas are welcome.

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#102473 - 03/19/06 06:04 PM Re: Apprentices
jay8 Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
The best way to ensure quality work is to pass your knowledge and guidelines onto the next generation. If the old timers who do good work arent willing to pass it on, who else will? Having new blood in the trade is, like death and taxes, inevitable. Best to make sure they know how to do things like a tradesman, and not just throw it together.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals