ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 269 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
RobbieD Offline OP
Anyone from Winnipeg here. I will be moving there this summer and I was curious about this Contractor's License that is required. Here in NS all you need is your ticket to get a permit, I guess they want more in Winnipeg.
Anyone know what the exam ,for this money grab license, is all about? Hopefully its not like the journeyman 3hr one.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

C
Hi Robbie,

I lived in Winnipeg for 25 years, but was luckily been able to escape to Edmonton last August.

As to the contractors licence, while I was not intimately involved with EC at the time, I think you might be hearing about either a City requirement to work within the city of Winnipeg or you may have to validate your Journeymans certificate before the EC permit is issued.

Perhaps a bit more information on which agency requires the Licence would help. I do know that the City of Winnipeg has adopted the CEC for the most part but calls it the "City of Winnipeg Electrical Code" as it has been modified in a few areas for purposes known only to them.

Hope that helps.

R
RobbieD Offline OP
Thanks Check Pilot,

I will be living in Winnipeg and they require this contractors license. I emailed the proper agency at the city and they have not responded to my question. Changing over my license is no problem, I was just curious about the contractor's license exam. I have no idea what the exam will test me on so I don't know how to prepare.

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 02-09-2006).]

C
Hi there,

I live in Winnipeg and wrote the exam on the February 9th/2011. You are given 3.25 hours to write the exam which consists of 50 questions. Sounds easy, I was blown away by the first 12 questions which all related to transformer calculations, regarding over current sizes, conductor sizes on both the primary and secondary sides. By question 13 I realized I need to study my transformers and the test got better after that. But if your going into it please do yourself a favour and brush up on transformers and get yourself a copy of the Winnipeg Electrical Bylaw, you will need it. I thought it was strange but after reviewing it, they actually cleared up a few grey areas from the CEC. If your working inside the perimeter you'll need it, if your outside the perimeter Manitoba Hydro is your governing body and the contractor lic. is not required just your electrical lic. If your looking for work contact me we in a hiring frenzy as my company just got some huge commercial jobs and we need qualified bodies to get us going. This isn't short term work either, contact me for more information if your interested. Good luck on the exam.

Link Copied to Clipboard