ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101807 06/26/03 10:56 AM
G
In the code book a reference is made in many sections to "remote devices" but no interputation as to what they consider a remote device. This seems to be a cloudy area as everything is remote when compared to the location of something else. A switch is remote from a fixture. A receptacle would be remote from the main dissconnect. Am I missing something in this?

#101808 06/26/03 05:18 PM
T
For the purpose of correct interpretation, certain terms have been defined and where such terms or derivatives thereof appear throughout this Code they shall be understood to have the meanings that follow. The ordinary or dictionary meaning of terms shall be used for terms not specifically defined in this Code.

OESC 2002'

Definitions:

Remote control circuit:

"means any electrical circuit which controls any other circuit through a relay or an equivalent device"

Example:

14-608 Remote-Control Circuits.

Remote-control circuits of remotely controlled apparatus shall be arranged so that they may be conveniently disconnected from their source of supply at the controller, but as an alternative it may be arranged that the disconnecting of the apparatus from the supply circuit also disconnects the remote-control circuit from the supply circuit.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
Electrical Safety Authority

#101809 06/27/03 02:16 PM
G
Tony I see what you mean but a remote controlled circuit and a remote device is two different things. The code does not say a remote controlled device is only says a remote device. Remote is something distant, it says nothing about the control of it. As I said earlier a receptacle can be remote in relation to its source of power and a switch can be remote from both its source and load. What I am trying to figure out is just what they mean by remote devices being almost any device is remote from something. An example 12-3032 (1)(b) they refer to remote device but with no clear interputation of what a remote device is then anything could qualify and with remote meaning something removed from another object then the interputation is even more blurry. I must be missing something in this but for the life of me I can't seem to put my finger on it, that is the reason I am asking. So if you have any idea how to explain it to me so it will actually sink into this thick head of mine I'd appriecate it.

[This message has been edited by ggardiner (edited 06-27-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard