by HotLine1
10/23/16 09:39 AM
Son of Sparky
by HotLine1
10/20/16 07:43 PM
Speaking of Plugmold ...
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:37 PM
Broken battery charger? Check for cobwebs!
by gfretwell
10/17/16 02:30 PM
New in the Gallery:
12.5A through 0.75mm² flex (just out of curiosity)
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gfretwell 12
HotLine1 7
renosteinke 6
ghost307 5
Potseal 4
Who's Online
1 registered (Tjia1981), 194 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101658 - 08/12/02 02:22 PM isolated ground system, sorta i think
frank Offline

Loc: windsor ontario canada
I was sent to wire a 220v 30a receptical in a phone room.At the panel i see two grounding bars,one sandard and one isolated.The standard is not used and there is no standard or isolated ground wires from source or load to it.The isolated grounding bar is almost full with a mixture of insulated and bare ground wires.
All the recpticals are orange with black and red.Since the isolated ground would be compromised by the bare ground wires ect.I don't understand the concept but i have seen it in old hospital O.R's for line isolation monitors where they ran 12/2 bx with the bare ground bonded to the box then the isolated grounding screw on the plug?

2014 / 2011 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#101659 - 08/29/02 01:54 PM Re: isolated ground system, sorta i think
Bjarney Offline

Loc: West-Southern Inner-Northeast ...
There are all kinds of so-called isolated-ground bars, and these too can be {seriously} misunderstood and misapplied. [Such ‘accepted’ practices are not automatically the best from a electrical-power engineering or ‘legal’ standpoint.] Also, telecomm practices generally far predate the introduction of 'orange-faced' wiring devices.

The next step would be to precisely determine the need based or the current published installation manual for the device being powered. Whatever someone says, or regardless of any arm waving in the process, standing published information should turn the key.

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals