ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 23 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101603 02/06/02 06:54 PM
G
I have a Energy Savings ballast just handed to me, it says
Universal Voltage
120 thru 277V 50/60 hz
.58/120v thru .25/277v
It has the CSA and the UL stickers on it now It was sent as a replacement ballast for some fixtures running on 347V. The manufacturer says all he sends as replacements are these ballasts for 347v systems in Canada. Now my question is , isn't the proper voltage and characteristics suppose to be on the unit before it is to be connected? Or is it because he has a CSA listing for the device and the light he sells rated for 347V is it legal?

#101604 02/07/02 05:44 PM
T
All ballasts shall be rated at the nominal system voltage. Nominal system voltage shall be that specified in CSA Standard CAN3-C235.

A ballast or transformer required to operate lamps of the type and wattage for which the luminaire was designed shall be provided with the luminaire and shall be wired in accordance with the diagram or instructions on or with the ballast.

When a luminaire is intended to be connected to the line and neutral grounded conductors of a branch circuit, and is provided with:

a) an auto-transformer or an auto-transformer type ballast, the screwshell of the lampholder shall be connected to the neutral grounded conductor, unless provision is made to protect against accidental contact with the lamp screwbase during insertion or removal of the lamp; or

b) an isolating-type transformer or ballast, the screwshell of the lampholder shall be separately bonded to ground, unless provision is made to protect against accidental contact with the lamp screwbase during insertion or removal of the lamp.

Leads, if provided as part of a ballast for connection to primary or secondary circuit wires, shall be not less than No. 18 AWG and shall be of types suitable for the purpose intended. Such wire shall be recognized as having temperature, current, and voltage suitability for the ballast application. (Refer to Table 11 of CSA Standard C22.1 for types and conditions of usage of flexible cords, equipment wires, and cables.)
The following definitions apply in Part 1 of this Standard:

Ballast – a device connected between the supply and one or more discharge lamps that serves essentially to provide starting and operating conditions for the lamp(s).

Electronic ballast – a ballast, generally involving high-frequency switching, that is controlled by active components (transistors, thyristors, and the like), in which the impedance is provided by series capacitive or inductive reactance.

Fixed ballast – a ballast intended to be permanently connected electrically.
Power capacitor – a capacitor that is connected
(a) in series with a lamp or lamps and provides the ballast impedance for the lamp current; or
(b) across the input leads of the ballast or across an extension of the primary winding for power-factor correction.

Reactance ballast – a ballast, the impedance of which is provided by
(a) inductive reactance;
(b) capacitive reactance; or
(c) both inductive and capacitive reactance.

Tony Moscioni
Electrical Inspector
© Electrical Safety Authority - 2002

Link Copied to Clipboard