ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101022 - 01/31/07 01:37 PM plastic light blocks
gserve Offline
Hi, I am doing a garage that is being wired in MC cable. It is going to have vinyl siding installed. The owner would like to use those plastic light blocks. My question is can these be used with MC cable if a standard MC connector is installed in the KO instead of those button NM connnectors that come with the block.Or does this come under it having to be listed for this use?
2017 / 2014 NEC & Related Books and Study Guides
#101023 - 01/31/07 01:44 PM Re: plastic light blocks
George Little Offline
Loc: Michigan USA
Can you post a graphic of what a "Light Block" is? I've not been enlightened (pun not intended) as to what these are.
#101024 - 01/31/07 01:56 PM Re: plastic light blocks
rabbitgun Offline
http://www.aifittings.com/k_6.htm

Looks like this one has 1/2" k.o.'s in the back. Dunno if you could manage the bending radius in a 2x4 wall.
#101025 - 01/31/07 02:26 PM Re: plastic light blocks
gserve Offline
Wow, I never gave the bending radius a thought. The garage has a 2x6 wall. The blocks I am talking about are similar to the ones in the above link but can be used to mount receptacles. This is what I want to do(GFCI of course). Maybe an angle connector could be used.
#101026 - 01/31/07 03:31 PM Re: plastic light blocks
George Little Offline
Loc: Michigan USA
I don't think I'd have a problem as long as the sheath of the MC cable is not the grounding conductor. As for using an angle connector, I'm okay with that also since I don't see any prohibition on angle connectors inside walls for MC cable.
#101027 - 01/31/07 03:58 PM Re: plastic light blocks
caselec Offline
Loc: San Jose, CA
314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes
Nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths, flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.
Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.
Exception No. 2: Where integral bonding means with a provision for attaching an equipment bonding jumper inside the box are provided between all threaded entries in nonmetallic boxes listed for the purpose, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.
#101028 - 01/31/07 06:37 PM Re: plastic light blocks
gfretwell Online   content

Loc: Estero,Fl,usa
I am assuming the MC is bonded at the line end of the cable in a metal box. Is this saying it also needs to be bonded at the load end, even with a green wire ground inside?
I agree with George the new bond strip MC without an ECG inside is troubling.
Does this stuff come listed using a bonding bushing/wedge?
#101029 - 02/09/07 09:35 AM Re: plastic light blocks
Reel-Break Offline
Loc: nc
One thing I`ve noticed is the big box stores have a similar mount but it doesn`t have the cu inch or place for the wiring and lots of electricians are putting the wires just under the canopy of the fixture and are using no box so to speak. Now the ones pictured above are the ones we use and are ok.Anyone else see this.I`ve notice only from installing new lights behind others.

Member Spotlight
New in the Gallery:
SE cable question
Featured:

2017 NEC and Related
2017 NEC
Now Available!

Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 90 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod

New in the Gallery:
SE cable question

Top Posters (30 Days)
Admin 47
HotLine1 43
gfretwell 19
Ruben Rocha 12
Trumpy 9

Newest Members
Stack, Scotto, Freecrowder, clee512, Jdscott2005

ECN Electrical Forums - sponsored by Electrical Contractor Network - Electrical and Code Related Discussion for Electrical Contractors, Electricians, Inspectors, Instructors, Engineers and other related Professionals