ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I had an inspector fail an install where we pulled a receptacle for the gas cooktop off of the microwave circuit(20amp dedicated). He says the microwave has to be on its own circuit, but most micros only run in the 1100W range. Any opinions?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

First off, welcome to ECN!! [Linked Image]

Actually, I'd try to state the case in the oposite direction; i.e. the gas cooktop will only pull about 1 amp or so for the light(s) and ignitor.....mention the combination range/microwave and/or microwave/exhaust fan units as possible precedents. Hardly a serious load factor for the microwave circuit.

But sometimes (actually many times) the Code turns a blind eye to reality and you may be stuck rewiring or adding a recept to the general appliance circuit in the kitchen.

Before someone I know quite well, comes on to blast me about the Code remark [Linked Image] I must say that the intention of the Code in this case is a very good one. It would be quite easy to overload the gen. purp. circuit with the microwave and just one other appliance.

Usually a polite conversation with the inspector will allow this to pass. But be ready to quote Code references that will help your case.

Good luck.

Stupid should be painful.
G
I don't see how he can require a dedicated circuit for an appliance that drwas less than 50% of circuit ampacity (2400va).
... unless it is juts because he can [Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
P
Welcome 97_watts

One of the electricians I worked with had a similar situation in a bathroom. He wired a night light (in-wall LED type) downstream from the GFCI. He was failed on this until he could reason with the inspector that there's probably going to be a night light plugged in anyways, and the night light had a rating of 0.1W (which is probably a lot more than it actually pulls). He said the inspector probably passed him because he was nice about it.

Make your point, but be respectful about it.

Electrically speaking, it should be okay as long as the calculated voltage drop is within the specs of the stove, which I'm sure it is (if it's too under voltage, the worst case scenario would be the electronic pilot doesn't light, causing a gas leak if the homeowner doesn't see that it's not lit. This could be one point he makes. remember, I said worst case scenario, as in, say, 1 in a million... blue moon... pigs fly... 3 legged horse won... you get the idea.)

By the way, is it an electrical inspector, or building inspector?

E
Quote:but most micros only run in the 1100W range.

What is keeping the home owner from putting a huge microwave in there? I know that most don't draw as much as they used to but code is code!

FYI- In Canada, we can put the gas range receptacle on the same circuit as the dining area receptacle. -Sorry, I know that this is the NEC forum, I like to compare all the little differences there is between NEC and CEC.

Cat Servant
Code does require a dedicated microwave circuit ...but ONLY if the micro in question as part of an 'over the range and exhaust hood' install. Event there, the requirement is an indirect one ... the dedicated circuit is called for IF the hood is cord & plug connected, only because a micro MIGHT be added later.

It is quite possible that the inspector got confused on this point - dang them code seminars! [Linked Image] In general, a micro can be plugged into any receptacle - even the countertop general purpose ones- and I suspect the stove igniter can come off them as well.

Now, as to the igniter tripping the GFI, I simply don't know if that's a concern.

R
Take a look at 422.16(B)(4)

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
G
I will look at that (NEC 2005) on December 8 ... if the state doesn't push it back again

[Linked Image]

Greg Fretwell
T
Ryan_J Wrote: Take a look at 422.16(B)(4)

OK I'll bite. How does that apply to the matter at hand? Is this an over range microwave and exhaust hood combination unit?

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison
J
JJM Offline
At the rate things are going, a 2,000 SF or larger home will soon need 400A service just so you can get two 42 breaker panels for all the dedicated circuits.

Either that, or the 42 breaker panel limit imposed on manufacturers needs to be lifted to reflect modern realities.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard