ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
What are the inspectors saying about using MC cable, (interlocked) installed for a drop for a laundry plug etc. when it is in contact with a masonry wall? No PVC jacket on the cable and does it need physical protection? Maybe I'm too strict. I say no way.

George Little
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

E
So long as it is dry and secured properly, I see no problem. If there is a concern with physical protection, sleeve it in EMT or PVC.

Earl
G
What is your concern, what do you cite and what would you accept? RNC uses the same "physical damage" language.
Do you want it on a running board (corrosion issue) or do you want it sleeved in RMC?

Greg Fretwell
G
Dean, most MC is listed "wet" these days. It has dual rated THHN/THWN conductors in it.

Greg Fretwell
G
What about the aluminum jacket?

George Little
G
What's wrong with the aluminum jacket? Is your concern a reaction with the block wall or a damage issue?
I am still curious what your cite is.
I know "damage" is a local call and the local practice varies widely across the country, even from AHJ to AHJ in the same general area. In Md it is common to simply staple Rx on running boards in utility areas. In this area of Florida that is not OK but they will take ENT (smurf). Other areas set the minimum at EMT.
I have not heard about concerns about MC, one way or the other.

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 11-01-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
G
Greg- I guess that's why I posted the issue. I know we can't have aluminnum wire in contact with concrete. I would not have a problem if they ran it MC on a running board. Guess I'm getting paranoid in my old age [Linked Image]

George Little
G
I may have a problem with aluminum wire used as a Ufer. I am not sure there is a concern about simply having aluminum against concrete. We have aluminum screen cages tapcon screwed to the slab and the block walls out in the weather. I have not seen any corrosion issues with them and that is here in monsoon country. I think I would be more concerned with steel straps on aluminum armor but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Greg Fretwell
G
I went back and looked at the references to concrete and aluminum. It says you can't pour the raceways in the concrete without supplimental protection and references "chlorides" that may be in the concrete <handbook note>. That is usually calcium chloride "heat" they put in to speed up the setting.

Greg Fretwell
S
Here in mass we usually rum nm stapled to a running board. I see no problem with mc on the masonary but if your concerned shoot a board and then clamp the mc to the board. Can even sleeve romex thru emt with the changeover. The cheaper way out than useing mc.Mc can be for exposed work. I dont have a problem with what you are doing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard