ECN Forum
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Project: gas powered AC generator - 04/11/07 11:38 AM
To avoid further thread jacking I decided to open an own thread about my "generator from scrap parts" project.

I did a lot of online research about AC generation and got at least some results...

According to what I remember from school I need a synchronous generator if I want to run anything but purely resistive loads.

Since the frequency depends on the rotation I need a fairly precise speed control on the motor.

To control the voltage I need a regulator for the excitation. I know a guy who built his own mechanic regulator so I might be able to get some help on that.

Is anyone here familiar with the workings of old small generator sets (1-2kVA range)? Those things already existed 50 years ago and I don't think they were built extremely complex since they were supposed to work in harsh environments.
Posted By: IanR Re: Project: gas powered AC generator - 04/11/07 01:44 PM
Tex,
Here is a forum that may be of some use to you. These guys collect and repair every kind of generator that you can think of. From turn of the 20th century 32 volt sets all the way up to some megawatt sets made in just the last few years.
sparks and arcs
Posted By: IanR Re: Project: gas powered AC generator - 04/11/07 01:52 PM
Here is another site about the electrical side of things. Basic fundamentals but still useful to know Generator and motor fundamentals
© ECN Electrical Forums