ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk New U.K. Forum - 06/08/05 07:44 PM
I received an e-mail from Mr. Ellis Greensitt of Supply Chain telling of a new forum he has just started based here in Britain.

It's still in its early stages of trying to get up and running and develop a user base, but you might like to give it a look. There are a few topics of interest already, including the inevitable Part P discussions:
http://supplychain.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-08-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/12/05 10:23 PM
Tried it. My comments;-

Bad;-
* Still in it's infancy, but presently there's a jerk posting continually about another site with some beef agaist Mr. Greensitt daring to start a forum, which is a bore.
* Immoderate moderators.
* Typical Brit rudeness to some youngsters seeking info.
* Gross illiteracy, (not just a few typos, showing the education system has failed?).

Good;-
* Site visitors named, you can see who's browsing, in fact a lot more data on users.
* A survey showed some contributers' actually preferred ECN!

I really would like better word processing, (on ECN )- underline, italic and bold are really useful to convey written nuances when posting- can this be done now? I'm a bit of a computer dunce, I'm afraid.

Alan
Posted By: pauluk Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/13/05 12:11 AM
I'm inclined to agree with you Alan. If the rough edges could be taken off it might attract some more users. Even the IEE forum has threads which degenerate into slanging matches sometimes.

underline, italic and bold are really useful to convey written nuances when posting- can this be done now?

No underline, but you can have bold or italic, or even a combination of both by inserting the appropriate tags.

The UBB help page tells you how:
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/ubbcode.html
Posted By: chipmunk Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/13/05 01:19 PM
I have tried it, and even made a few posts, there seem to be a few knowledgeable people there but on the whole I tend towards Alan's assessment. There seems to be a pointscoring battle going on between proponents of web based forums and usenet. Both sides naturally are correct [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/13/05 02:15 PM
It is true you _can_ do styles here, but i have to admit ECN uses the most crude and basic version of UBB software I've ever seen. Other boards offer real nice UBB editors that have short cuts for all the commonly used codes (size, font, color, style, quote, image, url,...). That would be nice!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/14/05 01:46 AM
No underline?.
I can't say I've ever heard of that, apart from
UBB links.
Does putting some words between some Test tags not work?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-13-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/14/05 10:34 AM
no
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/15/05 10:36 AM
Let's give it a shot...
underlined
bold
italic

ok... I just looked it up. According to UBB code explained you can only use bold and italic here. Pretty basic!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New U.K. Forum - 06/17/05 06:55 AM
However guys,
Back to the original topic.
I haven't been a member of this Non-US Area as long as what Paul has (considering that it was him that had the idea in the first place) (Kick me now Bill, if you like [Linked Image]), but, even in the first few years of it, I don't think we had any childish antics like what is on that site.
I have to agree with Alan B though, but should British mean rudeness?.
I've never met the kind here, or does like invite like?, as seems to be the case with this site.
Personally fellas, I'm part of quite a few Forums, not just ECN, but let's be honest, would you hang around for abuse like that?.
Getting something started is one thing, but in my opinion only, you start as you mean to carry on. [Linked Image]
Posted By: britspark Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/10/05 09:54 AM
as an engineer in good old England,

i thought i would `go have a look` at this new site, and personaly i think it stinks!

talk about childish!!!

quite a few bits of Mis Information as well, flaming and just plain arrogance, not a site for me i think, i will stay here with the rest of you if thats ok?

Britspark
Posted By: pauluk Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/10/05 11:40 AM
i will stay here with the rest of you if thats ok?
Fine with us. [Linked Image]

I'm afraid I do have to agree that it seems as though there are some personal grudges being fought in some of the threads. (I just had another quick look at the site - the first time since my last post in this thread.)

I haven't been a member of this Non-US Area as long as what Paul has (considering that it was him that had the idea in the first place)
I think I was the first member from outside North America, but I can't take the credit for starting the Non-U.S. area. That was Bill's idea.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 11:21 AM
Wow!,
I wasn't aware of that Paul!.
Sorry to both you and Bill.
Sort of sounds like Al Gore inventing the Internet. [Linked Image]
To be serious though, It's the sense of humour here or it's something else, that keeps me here.
More of it I say!!.
Posted By: IanR Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 12:23 PM
"Bad;-
* Still in it's infancy, but presently there's a jerk posting continually about another site with some beef agaist Mr. Greensitt daring to start a forum, which is a bore.
* Immoderate moderators.
* Typical Brit rudeness to some youngsters seeking info.
* Gross illiteracy, (not just a few typos, showing the education system has failed"

That is why I love this board so, We seem suffer none of those problems here, well mabe some tipos and bad spelin but hay we kant all b tipeists kan we?
Seriously, this a wonderful site. Every one is very helpful, polite and knowledgable. There is a camraderie here amongst the members that I have seen on very few other boards. I am glad that I found this board and I like to come here almost every day.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 12:51 PM
Look Ian,
Thanks for your kind words, but at the end of the day, it comes down to what Bill would like and us Moderators have to adhere to that, within reason.
Bill is not a stickler for protocol, but there have to be limits set, that is why ECN "flow", so well.
Being a Moderator under Bill is easy, mainly because if there is anything un-toward happen here, anyone of us Moderators will simply just get rid of it!.
As Paul will agree, the whole site over, we are a well behaved bunch.
I think to a certain degree, it is out of respect for Bill and his site, we are merely helping him.
As far as a Moderator goes, the only time I've had to use my "powers" is down in the Safety Area, and that was only to take out a bad link.
Don't worry, fella's, we aren't watching you. [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 01:35 PM
"Don't worry, fella's, we aren't watching you. "

Don't believe it! Big brother is allways watching you.
Just kidding [Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 01:38 PM
Trumpy,
Surely you must just be being modest.
You must admit, this is just a good board.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 07-12-2005).]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 03:39 PM
Ian,
There is something special about our written language in regard to spelling. You can spell most words, ( of four letters and above), however you like provided you get the first and last letter right, and all the other letters are in there somewhere. Our wonderful brains do the rest!

OK, lets try it-
Smlpiy, you can sellp msot wdros, ( of fuor
lttrees and avboe), hvweeor you lkie poivredd you get the frsit and lsat ltteer rghit, and all the ohter ltteers are in tehre smohwreee. Our wnoedfdul bainrs do the rset!

So you never need worry about your spelling again!

Bill Gates? Eat your heart out!

Alan
Posted By: IanR Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 04:24 PM
LMAO
I liek the way yew tinghk!
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: New U.K. Forum - 07/12/05 07:02 PM
Sign in a computer store:
"Microsoft spel chekar vor sail! Worgs grate!" [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Owain Re: New U.K. Forum - 10/26/05 09:46 PM
Is it true that Supply Chain, the electrical wholesalers and operators of that forum have gone into administration?
Posted By: RODALCO Re: New U.K. Forum - 01/03/06 10:16 AM
I'm quite new on this ECN site, and also new to UBB codes etc. and still learning, but I think that this site is very well run by experienced moderators.
You need some form of control to manage what is allowed to be published or not.

Also English is my second language and I'm bound to make a few spelling mistakes in my type writing, I do with 2 fingers and don't look at the monitor while typing.
Cheers Ray [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums