ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/22/04 08:12 PM
Posted for Joe Tedesco:

[Linked Image]

Click here for full-size image of above

[Linked Image]

Well, there are some familiar looking fittings there.

What's the story Joe?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-22-2004).]
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/22/04 11:51 PM
Thanks Paul:

The first picture was taken in a Sheraton Hotel at the London Heathrow Airport and the second was in the airport itself, before boarding the flight to Barcelona, Spain.

I was not permitted to carry my computer so I could not verify that the USA receptacle was working. I will send a few more pictures and will add my comments and ask the questions then.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/24/04 06:48 PM
My initial thought was that the first pic was a demonstration board, the sort you see in a wholesaler's showroom to illustrate their range of devices.

I wonder why the Sheraton went to the trouble of labeling the Shucko outlet "European socket" though? [Linked Image]

You'd think that Continental visitors in London would recognize what it is without being told. Actually, I just had a thought: Maybe it was to stop ignorant Brits asking what it was for!

I'll lay you 10:1 odds that the "U.S. 110 volts" receptacle is 50Hz as well. Looks as though with it right next to a British outlet they didn't debate ground-up vs. ground-down too much! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/25/04 01:28 AM
Here's a question.
Would all of these sockets have RCD protection, with this being a Hotel?.
I'll lay you 10:1 odds that the "U.S. 110 volts" receptacle is 50Hz as well.
Yes, I'd agree there too Paul, but would that affect a Laptop computer?.
Posted By: Hutch Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/25/04 02:20 AM
Mike,

1) RCD, I think not;
2) Most laptop transformers 100-250V/50-60Hz
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/25/04 10:37 AM
Thanks, Hutch!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: djk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/25/04 01:37 PM
I've seen that set up in Ireland too. No US Socket though just a schuko one.

I think the idea is to protect your hotel from scary tourist adaptors!

Any outlet <32A in our regs requires RCD protection. Doesn't matter what voltage or what the pin layout.
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/25/04 07:38 PM
I just stayed a night at the London Barbican "Thistle" Hotel, and that too had a US type socket over the desk. This was the first time I've seen that provision in an hotel. Interestingly though it wasn't labelled at all. I thought it called for great trust from any prospective user !
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/26/04 11:01 PM
Well, I hear these stories about people who go traveling and don't take a voltmeter with them. Seems kinda strange to me, but I suppose it takes all sorts...... [Linked Image]

If I found this in a hotel room I'd just have to jave a peek behind the outlet to see what wiring and color code they used on the NEMA device as well.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/26/04 11:04 PM
More pics from Joe (from Italy as far as I can tell):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Close-up of meter:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-26-2004).]
Posted By: djk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/28/04 01:41 PM
The only reason that's labled for laptops only is because it's 110V 50Hz and it's quite likely that they don't have a big enough transformer to supply several 110V hairdryers, curling irons, etc etc..

The Schuko outlet might be marked European Socket to avoid confusion where Brits attempt to plug in their shavers.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 08/30/04 10:16 AM
Good point -- I hadn't thought about that possibility. The plugs are similar enough that many people don't notice the slightly different pin diameter and spacing.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 09/07/04 08:43 AM
More Italian wiring from Joe:
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-07-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 09/07/04 09:23 AM
Joe,
Below that meter, is that some kind of a Service fuse?.
In that most recent pic with all the line taps, does another set of wires run into what looks like a square trunking, to the right of the conduit dropper?.
I like that funky conduit-socket-cum-bend to the left. [Linked Image]
Is this service wiring, Joe?.
It's weird there is no identification of polarity on them wires, just grey.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 09/07/04 02:15 PM
Joe,

I think that it is a panel with breakers.

In that most recent pic with all the line taps, does another set of wires run into what looks like a square trunking, to the right of the conduit dropper?.

I like that funky conduit-socket-cum-bend to the left.

Is this service wiring, Joe?.

YES

All the wires everywhere were gray.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Joe Tedesco's European Vacation pics - 09/07/04 05:43 PM
I would imagine that these are double-insulated cables, similar to the type we use in Britain for service wiring.

If you cut back the outer gray sheath you'll probably find a separate layer of color-coded insulation, like this:
[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 09-07-2004).]
I think so, probably between meter and main panel. If you look closely there's only one switch, that would be damn small, even for Italian style. Modern breaker panels look pretty much the same like everywhere else in Europe and seem to use double-pole breakers.
When i was in Torino two years ago, the main breaker would trip when the electric water heater and the electric range were on at the same time. Somebody would go into the dark hallway, take down a painting hiding the meter box and reset the breaker.

No, I think that's a rail for a sliding door.

If the two wires (blue and grey) exiting the meter base are the feeders to the main panel I know why said breaker occasionally tripped! Sure they're no more than 4mm2, which means a max. of 25A service fuse, rather 20.
© ECN Electrical Forums