ECN Forum
Posted By: fiddler Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/12/04 03:47 PM
In my neck of the woods there are some 240V

West German flouresent ballasts. ..pretty

small in size when compared to some former

English ballasts which lasted for upwards

of 8 years. These W G ballasts have a life

time of approx 3 years. Is there a way to

test these ballasts ? Thanks for any info.
Posted By: C-H Re: Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/12/04 04:31 PM
If they have a lifetime of 3 years, they have outlived themselves by a decade ;-)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/12/04 08:45 PM
I'd say that 3 years is a very poor lifespan for a fluoro ballast. I find plenty of old fluorescent fittings in this area which are 30+ years old and still on their original ballast.

Admittedly though, the modern ones don't seem to have the longevity of the old types. [Linked Image]

You can check continuity with a regular ohmmeter, and use a megger to check for insulation faults. Testing for shorted turns requires more sophisticated equipment than that found in the average field electrical kit.
Posted By: aland Re: Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/12/04 09:40 PM
Problem with the old balasts is that they probably cost more to run than the complete fitting on the newer versions.
Posted By: uksparky Re: Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/14/04 05:28 PM
Agreed with the longevity issue on older ballasts. Took down some ancient 6' twin trough fittings last year in a big workshop; owner said they had been there since his grandfather owned the business. They were all working, bar a couple with lamp failures. JEEZ though...I could hardly lift the darn things! [Linked Image]

There were thirty-odd of them, all replaced with more up to date affairs; HSE said the lux level was too low for a workshop. The present owner has said that their electric bills are down but more likely coz of the halide replacements and the management system.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Checking 240 V Flourescent Ballasts - 07/16/04 09:51 AM
Hold on a second, guys!
Just make sure that the tubes aren't of the 38mm RS (Quick-start) type.
And the fittings that supply these tubes, contain PCB's, usually in the Ballasts.
A fully sealed unit, but they have been known to leak Carcinogens(sp?)(Cancer-causing chemicals).
Watch out!!. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums