ECN Forum
Posted By: ryanjuk Wiring Horrors - 04/29/04 05:34 PM
Just up in my grandmothers attic yesterday and managed to snap some photos of really bad wiring. (UK)

[Linked Image from jcra.net]

and

[Linked Image from jcra.net]

The latter now has been fully rectified.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/29/04 05:54 PM
That second pic looks all too familiar where modern lighting wiring has been added to an old conduit system. I'm guessing this is lighting circuits too from the connections?
Posted By: ryanjuk Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/29/04 06:01 PM
Indeed, it is where a porch and outside light have been added.
Posted By: Hutch Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/29/04 11:36 PM
Those two cables leading off to the right look like the special loop-in cable with twin red wires plus earth. I'm still trying to work out why there are two. Where is the black wire going at the bottom and why someone would put green/yellow sleeves on the earth wires (as per regs) but then do a completely bodged earth connection?

Was someone paid to do this?
Posted By: ryanjuk Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/30/04 12:49 AM
I don't know any details about the wiring or when or who done it.

The cables running to the right of the picture appear to be running down to a switch below, controlling the lights.

And the cable running to the left powering a light.
Posted By: Hutch Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/30/04 02:40 AM
So Ryan, what do you make of the UK 'chocolate block' connectors as opposed to the ubiquitous USA wirenut.

Personnally I prefer 'chocolate blocks' but that is because of my background. Did you notice that most wire conections in UK fittings are also by a compression grub screw onto the wire (Mike Trump calls them 'tunnel connectors') rather than wrapped around the screw and squeezed under the head thereof.

Again, I prefer these but that comes from my background.

[This message has been edited by Hutch (edited 04-29-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/30/04 07:04 AM
RyanUK,
Thanks for the pics!. [Linked Image]
You could see in a New Zealand roof-void things that look a lot like that too!.
Yes, we do have the same connectors here.
(Mike Trump calls them 'tunnel connectors')
Most idiots here do the same as in the pics, never enclose them in an approved Junction Box.
See that Earth Conductor joint in the second picture!. [Linked Image]
Hmm, Lath and Plaster, we have that here too!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Wiring Horrors - 04/30/04 11:04 AM
Exposed choc-blocks seem to be considered the norm by many DIYers, especially when replacing a ceiling light fixture. They just attach the cable to the flex with connectors, then shove them up through the hole into the roof void. [Linked Image]
Posted By: james S Re: Wiring Horrors - 05/03/04 08:40 PM
i understand where your coming from but at the same time,when you have laminated flooring upstairs (which as you probably agree has become more common in houses recently) and very little length on the cables to work with coming through the ceiling, you do find yourself in a bit of a fix!!!

still not correct i know
© ECN Electrical Forums